RAW & JPEG quality difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2009
Hi! all. need advice on the above 2 format. is it true that RAW format pix are sharper & clearer than those taken in JPEG?

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Hi! all. need advice on the above 2 format. is it true that RAW format pix are sharper & clearer than those taken in JPEG?
What research have you done so far? Which of the thousands of jpeg vs. raw comparisons online have you looked at so far?

krishna91

Oct 14, 2009
Asia
RAW is better if you want to post process.. It is important if you want maximum information so that you can adjust curves, shadows, highlights etc. JPEG files look better out of the camera but do not offer this flexibility. Processed RAW files will look better than JPEG's once you post process them.

khock520

Nov 28, 2009
sg east
...take raw format as equivalent to the film negatives... and you have to develop it using a software and then convert it to jpeg format. yr pc window photo viewer is not able to read/display raw format image. advantage of raw format is that you are able to set the wb/color toning/exposure settings + filters application + more more....

jpeg is processed by the cam and is compressed, depending on picture quality settings....from 1:4, 1:8 or 1:16....

raw format may not be sharper, if the image captured is in the first place oof.

note: jpeg format can also be touched up by using photoshop, etc....if there is a need for a final touch-up.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2007
AMK
Don't ask, just try it out yourself and you will know the difference.

Feb 6, 2006
Best is to switch ur camera to take 1 raw + 1 jpeg option to shoot
Snap hundreds of pictures, then instead maybe u can enlighten us what is the difference.. :bsmilie:

A raw file is just the raw data which the sensor produces. as to how it's process depends on you and your know-how. If you apply 0 sharpening to the raw file, then the JPG will be 'sharper'. But if you sharpen properly than the raw might be 'sharper' than the jpg.

the way you use the term 'sharper' and 'clearer' seems a bit vague.. pls clarify as image sharpness depends on many aspects, such as shutter speed, lens, focus, camera sharpening etc etc.

ttyh1812

Oct 16, 2009
Due to my limited skill, I came to realize that my pics are like a a woman....
i.e. cannot be seen without make up (i.e. pp)
Thus I always stick with RAW... ;p
(Ladies, don't stone me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom