raw + jpeg fine

Amarzaki

Sep 16, 2009
Woodlands
hi,
i wanna ask i did shoot raw + jpeg fine it turns out that jpeg fine has better image like contrast n saturation.. is that normal?
also the distortion at both end left n right of the picture on raw file.. is that how it is or anything wrong with my camera system? :confused:

picture straight from camera

pic 1 jpeg fine
4763761594_7b4a08a09c_z.jpg

pic 2 raw
4763761006_54bb7da80c_z.jpg

(both side by the end of the image a bit squeze in if u look side by side with jpeg)

exif: iso100 - 32mm - f5 - 1/400 - exposure daylight mode..

pls dun go into raw u can edit n go back to original etc..

thanx..

Off hand, a straight-from-camera JPEG is an RAW image that has gone in-camera processing by camera's processor. Included in the processing is the colour saturation and sharpening.

RAW image, presumably extracted by Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW, will come out with unsaturated colour and unsharpened, like the post image. Without post processing, this makes the RAW image unappealing.

With RAW, user has the latitude to make all the necessary adjustment to make the image "pop-out" and presumably even better than the straight-from-camera JPEG.

Alternatively, one may try dabbling trial copy of Nikon CaptureNX2 to compare its interpretation of the RAW image against the straight-from-camera JPEG. :)

hi,
i wanna ask i did shoot raw + jpeg fine it turns out that jpeg fine has better image like contrast n saturation.. is that normal?
Define "better" :dunno: Do all images need increased saturation and contrast?
RAW offers you the possibility to adjust the image according your wishes, needs, ideas.. in a very detailed way at home on your computer. JPG is already processed and converted by the camera according some presets (check your menu and manual). JPG is a conversion where image details are removed, irretrievable. Details lost due to this process are lost, forever.
Decide for yourself what you need.

also the distortion at both end left n right of the picture on raw file.. is that how it is or anything wrong with my camera system? :confused:
It is possible that the camera does also some distortion corrections.

Btw: your 2nd image is not 'straight from the camera, you would not be able to post RAW images here. You did some conversion, which even removed the exif header.

Off hand, a straight-from-camera JPEG is an RAW image that has gone in-camera processing by camera's processor. Included in the processing is the colour saturation and sharpening.

RAW image, presumably extracted by Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW, will come out with unsaturated colour and unsharpened, like the post image. Without post processing, this makes the RAW image unappealing.

With RAW, user has the latitude to make all the necessary adjustment to make the image "pop-out" and presumably even better than the straight-from-camera JPEG.

Alternatively, one may try dabbling trial copy of Nikon CaptureNX2 to compare its interpretation of the RAW image against the straight-from-camera JPEG. :)

Define "better" :dunno: Do all images need increased saturation and contrast?
RAW offers you the possibility to adjust the image according your wishes, needs, ideas.. in a very detailed way at home on your computer. JPG is already processed and converted by the camera according some presets (check your menu and manual). JPG is a conversion where image details are removed, irretrievable. Details lost due to this process are lost, forever.
Decide for yourself what you need.

It is possible that the camera does also some distortion corrections.

Btw: your 2nd image is not 'straight from the camera, you would not be able to post RAW images here. You did some conversion, which even removed the exif header.

thanx to both of u for the info..
2nd picture i upload using aperture than just drag to flickr folder.. i checked everything is intact in the flicker folder.. i'll try other way..thanx

thanx to both of u for the info..
2nd picture i upload using aperture than just drag to flickr folder.. i checked everything is intact in the flicker folder.. i'll try other way..thanx
Ah, ok. Didn't check your flickr folder. I check within the browser, using Firefox plugin.

seems that flick auto convert my image to jpeg.. sorry for that.. i can see the different on green grass n the cloud..no editing done..
about the distortion i think it just like that.. after i try save the picture in different format the distortion is gone.. i guess because of the compress image? :dunno:

but i thought when u take a raw image, the saturation/white balance/contrast etc are 'tagged' (i think thats the word), so that when i open it in lightroom, the sliders are already adjusted to the settings that were set in camera. so if i immediately process the raw image, those settings are already set, so the image looks very similar to the jpeg.

is something different in TS raw image here, or have i got something confused? :D thanks

Last edited:
hi,

thanx..

jpeg is processed by the camera with the setting like cntrast and saturation applied depending on what mode(vivid etc) TS has chosen.

As for the distortion, I am really not sure as I nv notice any distortion in the raw I convert. Could it be due to conversion from Raw to Jpeg?

but i thought when u take a raw image, the saturation/white balance/contrast etc are 'tagged' (i think thats the word), so that when i open it in lightroom, the sliders are already adjusted to the settings that were set in camera. so if i immediately process the raw image, those settings are already set, so the image looks very similar to the jpeg.
This only happens when you open the RAW image in the RAW converter of the respective camera maker. LR and other tools (including flickr) will not recognize the tags and comments in the RAW file since these are camera specific data (= proprietary). Only the RAW images itself are 'neutral' so that other converters can use them.

hmm, but lightroom read the tags on the raw images i took with my canon 500D.. maybe i'll check again to confirm? but im pretty sure it did

hmm, but lightroom read the tags on the raw images i took with my canon 500D.. maybe i'll check again to confirm? but im pretty sure it did

Lightroom will read some tags, but will render the image to some default levels. For my Nikon RAW NEF files, it will open the pic with brightness at +50 and contrast +25. Most of the time I do need to do quite a bit of adjustments to get to where I like the picture to be. If I open the pictures with ViewNX (Nikon's software), the picture will be almost identical to the jpeg one.

Also remember, Nikon does auto CA correction in-cam for jpg, but not RAW. LR will not do it either. You need to do it manually in LR. ViewNX has an option for you to turn on CA correction automatically or off.

oh, i see.. that makes sense. ur right, i guess it doesnt look exactly like the jpeg, but it looks similar, and more like the jpeg than a flat raw image, i think. yes, i think for canon also, LR has default or rounded values (probably based on the picture style?) for saturation, contrast etc. and it also adjusts the white balance that was used. CA correction, noise reduction and sharpening have to be done manually, i believe?

Last edited: