RAW images

ZerocoolAstra said:
why not the case? I thought Octarine already explained in post #16.
Custom white balance would not work because your reference object is not lit by the blue light from your CPU's LED. The dominant light source is the ambient light in the room (eg. daylight from windows, or indoor tungsten/fluorescent lighting).
Gotta know how custom WB works :)

Good explanation.

Adjusting WB will correct the lighting to the original color the items are under white light. But not to what your eyes see.

And colored lights do not get affected much by ambient light simply because the color is emitted by a light source, and is not a color you see after reflected off the ambient color of the light.

So when you adjust WB you correct colors of items which are not light sources. Light sources, since they are not affected ambient color temp, will get skewed away from their original color.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So what settings or lighting setup do I have to set to ensure that my JPEG will show the Blue as blue and not purple-pink ?

So what settings or lighting setup do I have to set to ensure that my JPEG will show the Blue as blue and not purple-pink ?

You could force it to a fixed WB setting, such as fluorescent (if the dominant light source is fluorescent lighting), or even to a Kelvin (K) value.
The lower you set the K value, the more blue your LED light will appear.

JJLoke said:

Play around with the presets till you get the blue you are looking for, sadly. Or shoot raw, then in PP adjust to get the blue you want ignoring the rest of the picture. If you want to retain the blue and yet correct the WB for tue rest of the pic, your only option is to do it via layers.

to what I know, there is no specific settings to ensure that. This is due to the difference in lighting in different scenarios. If WB is critical in your shots w/o PP, it's suggested that you may

1) want to set the white balancing to Custom then set the WB from there. (very manual, need to trial and error)
Or
2) You can also consider getting Expo Disc (White Balance Filter) or White/Grey Cards to help you set the correct custom WB. (this is slightly more "auto", lesser trial and error required as compared to 1)
Or
3) Shoot in Raw...PP to correct WB.

to what I know, there is no specific settings to ensure that. This is due to the difference in lighting in different scenarios. If WB is critical in your shots w/o PP, it's suggested that you may

1) want to set the white balancing to Custom then set the WB from there. (very manual, need to trial and error)
Or
2) You can also consider getting Expo Disc (White Balance Filter) or White/Grey Cards to help you set the correct custom WB. (this is slightly more "auto", lesser trial and error required as compared to 1)
Or
3) Shoot in Raw...PP to correct WB.

Bro, expodisc will not work for this case. JJLoke was trying to shoot a blue LED lamp (light source), but the dominant light source is the one lighting the room (fluorescent, daylight, etc). If you take a custom WB, the reflected light will be the ambient light, not the blue light. Hence the blue may not turn out blue.

I have tried the setting u mentioned and forced the WB into fluorescent lighting.

Set to RAW + JPEG shot concurrent

Still the same results

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlokephotoalbums/5712756306/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlokephotoalbums/5712195045/in/photostream

sadly, I can't open flickr photos on my office PC, unless you put up individual images within the
tags.
If you set to something like 2500K I'm sure it will come out very blue :)

Bro, expodisc will not work for this case. JJLoke was trying to shoot a blue LED lamp (light source), but the dominant light source is the one lighting the room (fluorescent, daylight, etc). If you take a custom WB, the reflected light will be the ambient light, not the blue light. Hence the blue may not turn out blue.

Oops....missed out the part that said he was trying to frame the LED Lamp...

Thx for correction..

Alright, thank you so much guys! I have tried many different combinations of settings until I give up. The closest I can get with is a slight tint of purple-pink. Tried all WB/Temperture/Tint in PP all does not work, unless via layers.

I knew of this problem since last year and have been shooting with RAW since.

Like in the flickr photos, the RAW file of the blue is of the correct cast and with the appropriate WB. So nothing to tweak

Never had problems working in RAW

Lastly thanks TS, kindof hijacked ur thread. Something u might wanna take note of.