Raw format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi.. need to gather some info.. recently I tried out raw format and discovered that it can't be viewed with normal photo SW..
Err.. sorry for my ignorance.. usually what you do with the raw format before it can be viewed with PS? :dunno:

You have to cook it first. :bsmilie:

What cam are you using?

Newman :kok:

I believe the individual camera manufacturers have included a s/w for you to edit and view RAW images. :)

Nikon is using Nikon View and Nikon Capture. It should be able to read .NEF files easily.

Canon has 3rd parties like Capture1 DSLR to read .CRW files.

Adobe Photoshop CS with the right plugins can read almost all camera's RAW files :)

Newman said:
You have to cook it first. :bsmilie:

What cam are you using?

I tried using microwave oven.. doesn't work.. :what:
Don't tell me it needs pressure cooker..

BTW, I'm using Canon G3. Never thought of using raw format until someone told me that it gives sharper image last weekend..
I found out that photo sharpness on my G3 loss out big time as compare to Pana FZ10. Just want to know if I can achieve similar sharpness with raw format..

Post processing should get what you want :) RAW doesn't have any compression thus more details are being retained. 12bits on RAW as compared to 8bits on JPEG :)

The beauty of RAW allows you to edit and edit and edit over again but never losing any details nor gaining compression.

And not to mention you can shoot in any WB and still have the ability to tweak it later :D

espn said:
Post processing should get what you want :) RAW doesn't have any compression thus more details are being retained. 12bits on RAW as compared to 8bits on JPEG :)

The beauty of RAW allows you to edit and edit and edit over again but never losing any details nor gaining compression.

And not to mention you can shoot in any WB and still have the ability to tweak it later :D

I have Canon image browser that can view..
How to edit if PS can't recognise the raw format?

Saved to JPEG from Image Browser and edit with PS.. then isn't it back to the JPEG format?? :dunno:

Hi, very recently i found my Windows not able to display thumbnails previews of RAW picture files in the My Pictures folders. I used to be able to see the thumbnails but now it's just some generic icon. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

E-TTL: You have to edit the RAW files as is once you see what you want, then you save into JPEG :)

Benedium: You upgraded to XP SP2?

Eyesthruthelens said:
I have Canon image browser that can view..
How to edit if PS can't recognise the raw format?

Saved to JPEG from Image Browser and edit with PS.. then isn't it back to the JPEG format?? :dunno:

Hi i believe espn mentioned about installing plugin for photoshop before you can read raw files and he is right about photoshop's plugin being able to read most camera's raw files if not all. In fact they have come out with a royalty free neutral file format call the DNG. You can download the raw plugin at the following url. In it you can read more about the new DNG format as well. Version 2.3 of the latest for the raw plugin.

There are steps inside to tell you how to install the plugin. Once you installed it, all you need to do is open the file and your picture will pop up!

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows
;p

benedium said:
Hi, very recently i found my Windows not able to display thumbnails previews of RAW picture files in the My Pictures folders. I used to be able to see the thumbnails but now it's just some generic icon. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

I can't view at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.