Raw file opening/editing

Elson17

Sep 28, 2012
SG
Hi guys, recently I started shooting in raw and encounter a problem when opening them in my com.

I tried using Picasa, photoscape, rawtherPee with gimp to open my photo but they always turn out like there is a red filter covering (as in the whole photo turn reddish).

The only program that is normal is the software that come with my canon camera.

Why is this so, please advise ...

What Canon camera? Chances are it may be a newer model those older software's don't fully support yet. So until there is an update, use your free software.

Rashkae said:
What Canon camera? Chances are it may be a newer model those older software's don't fully support yet. So until there is an update, use your free software.

650d :)

In the meantime you could spend time on calibrating your screen (if not done yet) :)

Octarine said:
In the meantime you could spend time on calibrating your screen (if not done yet) :)

Please explain, calibrate which screen :)

Please explain, calibrate which screen :)
your monitor need to be calibrated, even you are not doing any post production work, so that you know what you see on the computer monitor is accurate.

and if your monitor is not calibrated, when you do any editing, it will only look good on your side, it might way off on everybody's calibrated monitors.

your monitor need to be calibrated, even you are not doing any post production work, so that you know what you see on the computer monitor is accurate.

and if your monitor is not calibrated, when you do any editing, it will only look good on your side, it might way off on everybody's calibrated monitors.

Boss, but if what looks on your monitor is the same as you do a full CYMK print, should be all right, right?

IDK, I never calibrate my lappy, today I did an A0 print, doesn't find any color off or anything wrong.

Actually i quite confused with this monitor calibration issue too. If i buy a new monitor or laptop from the shop. Do i need to do calibration? And do i really need to do a printout from the printer and compare it with the monitor to complete the calibration process?

Actually i quite confused with this monitor calibration issue too. If i buy a new monitor or laptop from the shop. Do i need to do calibration? And do i really need to do a printout from the printer and compare it with the monitor to complete the calibration process?

You need to calibrate it if you want it to be color perfect. Calibration has some factors to it. Is your ambient light bright? dark? Is your display reflective? What type of backlight does your panel use? This is for display panels.

Printer calibration is an even more time consuming process and you can't do it visually. You rely on a spectrophotometer for this and a device cost over a grand.

Yes, because the monitors are tuned for the colors/temperature/contrast/saturation/brightness the manufacturer wants you to see, which is not necessarily what is correct for photo editing. Some monitors, like the Dell Ultrasharp models or the BenQ "Senseye+photo" models, do come pretty accurately calibrated, but it's always best to re-check them.

From the data in your image to the screen it's along way and your monitor is only one component. Calibration will do an end to end measuring and do the necessary adjustment so that whatever in coded in the file will also be displayed. For obvious reasons, calibrations in the factory can only cover the screen but not the countless models of graphics cards, drivers, OS versions, additional custom settings ...