RAW Conversion - what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce

Aug 25, 2003
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
Until recently I had always used Nikon Capture. I was quite happy with the results, but didn't like the extra step in the workflow (batch convert files to tif, adjust individually any file that needed special handling).

Now having just bought PS CS, have started using that instead. Now that extra step of converting with Nikon Capture is gone. I have noticed though that the results from PS CS Camera Raw converter are not the same as Nikon Capture - Capture results are more true to the original image. Adobe seems to wash out the image a little.

The one that I haven't tried (yet) is Capture One DSLR.

So just wondering, what method do you use and why?

I'm probably infamously known as the "RAW guy" ;)

OK, you can read the quality of the RAW converters here

I actually prefer the CaptureOne's workflow for RAW. You can browse each image, make changes to each image, the orientation, curves, etc and then send it to a queue for outputing to TIFF (preferred) or JPG. I will then further make amendments or tweaking in PS.

PS CS seems quite ok, but does not have a queue concept; you have to work each photo individually and then save in TIFF or work it all the way to the end of your workflow (eg crop, curves, resize, sharpen, etc). Very disruptive. :nono: I use this only when there is one or two photos to process.

Capture? Gives the most control like vignetting controls, custom curves, etc. However, it cannot replace PS as it work great as a converter and nothing else.

So my preference is CaptureOne + PS, followed by PS alone.

Royce said:
Until recently I had always used Nikon Capture. I was quite happy with the results, but didn't like the extra step in the workflow (batch convert files to tif, adjust individually any file that needed special handling).

Now having just bought PS CS, have started using that instead. Now that extra step of converting with Nikon Capture is gone. I have noticed though that the results from PS CS Camera Raw converter are not the same as Nikon Capture - Capture results are more true to the original image. Adobe seems to wash out the image a little.

The one that I haven't tried (yet) is Capture One DSLR.

So just wondering, what method do you use and why?

I am using C1 LE for raw conversion. I have tried PS CS for raw conversion but I still prefer the overall workflow of C1 LE and the colour accuracy of its output compared to PS CS. C1 LE allows me to work on the next RAW file while the previous files are still being converted unlike PS CS which requires each RAW image to be converted before you can work on the next.

I too find that the colours produced for 10D RAW images by the PS CS is a bit too pale. This subject was recently discussed in the Canon DSLR forum of dpreview in this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=6675255
In this thread, Magne Nilsen, a colour expert surmised that the conversion algorithm used by PS CS tends to produce inaccurate colour representations and a paleness that could not be completely corrected for. You can try to minimise some of the problems by playing around with the various parameters in the menus of the Adobe Camera Raw instead of using the default values though.

Actually, now I am still using Canon's Raw convertor for my pictures taken on G5. Seems cheapo but it does its job ok for family shots. A bit slow I must say...

Status
Not open for further replies.