Rates for Videography


Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Guest
#1
Not sure if this is a sensitive topic going by the results shown when people ask on rates for event photography - most of the time you get "depends" answers.

I did notice an average rate of around $100/hr for event photography.

My question is, anyone can give an indication on the average rate for videography? Do these rates include video editing, or is it like photography where only the raw footage is provided. If editing is required, what would be the extra charges?

Hope to obtain some constructive indications.

Thanks!
 

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,157
3
38
#2
i know that my friends charge ard $800/- for D&D. With editing, and return the raw tapes also.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#3
You know whats the hourly rate without editing and just give raw footage?

smurfman said:
i know that my friends charge ard $800/- for D&D. With editing, and return the raw tapes also.
 

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,157
3
38
#4
this i don't know liao. sorry.
 

arampan

New Member
Nov 29, 2004
138
0
0
42
Jurong West
#5
vince123123 said:
Not sure if this is a sensitive topic going by the results shown when people ask on rates for event photography - most of the time you get "depends" answers.

I did notice an average rate of around $100/hr for event photography.

My question is, anyone can give an indication on the average rate for videography? Do these rates include video editing, or is it like photography where only the raw footage is provided. If editing is required, what would be the extra charges?

Hope to obtain some constructive indications.

Thanks!
These prices below are for real local professionals with broadcast quality equipment, not students, Ah Chek with VX2000 or foreign nationals freelancing here.

Event coverage 3CCD handheld $120/hr
Event coverage Shoulder mounted $150/hr

Programme shoots 3CCD handheld $140/hr
Programme shoot Shoulder mounted $180/hr
DP with Film Camera $250/hr to $600/hr

Editor $25/hr to 65/hr
Editing Machine Rental $200 to $800 per day
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#6
Thanks Arampan for the informative post.

Just wondering, isn't a 3CCD Video camera within the reach of the "students, Ah Chek and foreign nationals"?

arampan said:
These prices below are for real local professionals with broadcast quality equipment, not students, Ah Chek with VX2000 or foreign nationals freelancing here.

Event coverage 3CCD handheld $120/hr
Event coverage Shoulder mounted $150/hr

Programme shoots 3CCD handheld $140/hr
Programme shoot Shoulder mounted $180/hr
DP with Film Camera $250/hr to $600/hr

Editor $25/hr to 65/hr
Editing Machine Rental $200 to $800 per day
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#7
vince123123 said:
Thanks Arampan for the informative post.

Just wondering, isn't a 3CCD Video camera within the reach of the "students, Ah Chek and foreign nationals"?
Don't you see or heard alot of people carry D2X and 1Ds shoot for free or cheap cheap.....:bsmilie:
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#8
That's true, but arampan did say broadcast quality and I was wondering if a 3CCD consumer/prosumer video camera qualifies as broadcast quality.

catchlights said:
Don't you see or heard alot of people carry D2X and 1Ds shoot for free or cheap cheap.....:bsmilie:
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#9
vince123123 said:
That's true, but arampan did say broadcast quality and I was wondering if a 3CCD consumer/prosumer video camera qualifies as broadcast quality.
That I don't know liao, this have to ask videographer.
also not sure what classify as broadcast quality.
btw, broadcast quality for home viewing isn't it overkill?
 

yowch

New Member
Oct 16, 2002
1,044
0
0
44
Singapore, Redhill
Visit site
#10
No, 3CCD does not mean broadcast quality. DVX100, VX2100 and PD170 cannot be accepted by many bigtime producers like BBC and CNN. HD, 1 million megapixels, etc does not make the cam broadcast quality. Also, the cameraman's angles, controls and skills must be evaluated.

Broadcast quality video cams start at about $14,000 for a basic unit. After all the extras, it should come to about $50,000.

I am a freelancer using a small hand-held 3CCD MiniDV cam. :) :)
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#11
So would you agree that the 3CCD MiniDV rates the same as what arampan proposed? Or are those rates for the 14k units?

yowch said:
No, 3CCD does not mean broadcast quality. DVX100, VX2100 and PD170 cannot be accepted by many bigtime producers like BBC and CNN. HD, 1 million megapixels, etc does not make the cam broadcast quality. Also, the cameraman's angles, controls and skills must be evaluated.

Broadcast quality video cams start at about $14,000 for a basic unit. After all the extras, it should come to about $50,000.

I am a freelancer using a small hand-held 3CCD MiniDV cam. :) :)
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#12
3CCD minidv cameras are quite affordable.

yowch said:
No, 3CCD does not mean broadcast quality. DVX100, VX2100 and PD170 cannot be accepted by many bigtime producers like BBC and CNN. HD, 1 million megapixels, etc does not make the cam broadcast quality. Also, the cameraman's angles, controls and skills must be evaluated.

Broadcast quality video cams start at about $14,000 for a basic unit. After all the extras, it should come to about $50,000.

I am a freelancer using a small hand-held 3CCD MiniDV cam. :) :)
 

arampan

New Member
Nov 29, 2004
138
0
0
42
Jurong West
#13
vince123123 said:
So would you agree that the 3CCD MiniDV rates the same as what arampan proposed? Or are those rates for the 14k units?
Mini DV hand held rates are of course lower. In recent times, they have been lowered due to price slashers like students freelancing and foreign nationals working here.

Actually, the 3CCD handheld cameras that are accepted as broadcast quality are:

Panasonic DVX100
Sony PD170
Canon XL2

These produce excellent video... in the right hands... It is unfortunate but many wedding videographers do use these camera... on auto mode... That's like using your SLR set to auto ! ! !

These 3 cameras have been used to shoot for Discovery, National Geographic, and many others.

Panasonic DVX100:
Pros: Best CCD and Image reproduction
Cons Fixed Lens

Sony PD170:
Pros: Best optical image stabilizer (AKA Vibration Reduction)
Cons: Least manual controls

Canon XL2:
Pros: Intercahangable lens
Cons: weak low light performance.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#14
So if all I need is a MiniDV 3 CCD cam-er, what kind of indication of rates would it be?

arampan said:
Mini DV hand held rates are of course lower. In recent times, they have been lowered due to price slashers like students freelancing and foreign nationals working here.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom