Rates for architecture and sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliet

Feb 15, 2007
Does anyone know the rates for shooting architecture (actually more like nicer "premises" shots lah) and sports?

It it charged by per picture? If so, what is the range of charge?

Hey Juliet, perhaps if you let us know what the final usage is for because it can vary widely. Based on some of my own figures

ie editorial shot for web only for 6 months-$400 per image + costs
perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs

most images would fall somewhere in between, so i think most photographers would need more detailed job and output description to be able to answer your questions accurately.

Kuang

Hi Kuang

Thanks!

Actually the clients weren't even that sure themselves except to say it's mostly stock photography for that building's management/ owner and that they will definitely use it on their website. Pretty sure they will ask for all rights. They also said something around 20 usable images "should be okay".

As for the sports one, it's for the organization organizing the events and they want to keep it "for their own reference". I'm guessing it's to promote their atheletes/ members or use on website or newsletters or anything they want to use it for.

Did you say "perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs" ? :eek:

That's not expensive actually. When I was in the writing business, that's the kind of rates quoted by publishers (not photographers, mind you) for use of the images printed in their publications. Many photographers in SG don't know what they're actually signing away, or giving away, while the middleman happily charges the 'right' numbers.

Hi Kuang

Thanks!

Actually the clients weren't even that sure themselves except to say it's mostly stock photography for that building's management/ owner and that they will definitely use it on their website. Pretty sure they will ask for all rights. They also said something around 20 usable images "should be okay".

As for the sports one, it's for the organization organizing the events and they want to keep it "for their own reference". I'm guessing it's to promote their atheletes/ members or use on website or newsletters or anything they want to use it for.

Did you say "perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs" ? :eek:

Actually, I don't see why $25k is so surprising, for major ad campaigns I would consider this to be undercharging.

Consider, this is the type of usage major MNCs would purchase, ie, an advertising shoot for the latest Ford car, etc, it's not very expensive when running a major ad could well be equivalent to $1 million per minute on prime spot tv or $250k per month for a billboard and your picture could well be used for those outlets.

it's quite futile in the sg marketplace cuz if u slap all these copyright stuffs onto ur client, they'll just go find another one who's not so 'fussy'.
plus there's no union or controlling body lobbying for the rights and such.

so it's back to dog eat dog world here. cheapest wins most of the time.

it's quite futile in the sg marketplace cuz if u slap all these copyright stuffs onto ur client, they'll just go find another one who's not so 'fussy'.
plus there's no union or controlling body lobbying for the rights and such.

so it's back to dog eat dog world here. cheapest wins most of the time.

Actually, my opinion is quite the opposite. I think the singapore market is improving in this respect very rapidly and rights manged photography was worth quite a lot to my company last year. Approximately 10% of my revenue was from rights managed and it was a really easy 10% to earn.

Generally, I find most companies i work with to be nervous about signing a photographer if they are not clear about rights and what the fees involve. i think there is light at the end of the tunnel

Generally, I find most companies i work with to be nervous about signing a photographer if they are not clear about rights and what the fees involve. i think there is light at the end of the tunnel

I think most companies would be more nervous if they found out that the asking fee is $25k.

Let those who want the cheapo photogs make a fool of themselves ;)

Sad to said this but there is always a cheapo and fool around the corner waiting to take the job.

its good not to mislead anyone who might be reading this thou...

i've come across people who charge $100 for event shoots and their works are pretty good. they are of course under-rating themselves...

sometimes. cheap doesnt mean no good.

and expensive doesnt mean good also.

well.... in singapore's culture.. the creative and art industy is always the one who gets un-appreciated and under-rated.

all thanks to "cheapo mindset" = always get the cheapest and the best...

Hey Juliet, perhaps if you let us know what the final usage is for because it can vary widely. Based on some of my own figures

ie editorial shot for web only for 6 months-$400 per image + costs
perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs

most images would fall somewhere in between, so i think most photographers would need more detailed job and output description to be able to answer your questions accurately.

Kuang

Say, design firm need portfolio of 2 houses done recently, probably 5 to 8 angles inteiors from each house, and of course at least 1 exterior shot, it will probably cost them a minimum of $175,000, notwithstanding your costs- whatever that means.
They will need "perpetual rights" because it's their portfolio and they don't know where and when they will place an ad to promote their business, maybe using one of the pictures from the 2 houses the $25K per image photographer shot recently.
Mind sharing how many $25,000 interior images you have shot lately?
Shooting a house will net you $100,000 at least, 4 pictures.
Boy, I must been ripped off.
Time to place an order for the Porsche, in shocking pink.:bsmilie:

Mind sharing how many $25,000 interior images you have shot lately?

I think he's too busy to shoot, coz he seems to be running workshops or some courses now.
;)

Say, design firm need portfolio of 2 houses done recently, probably 5 to 8 angles inteiors from each house, and of course at least 1 exterior shot, it will probably cost them a minimum of $175,000, notwithstanding your costs- whatever that means.

In that case, the fees we get for designing 2 houses can't even cover the photography services.

I'm not trying to knock anyone here. Heck I would like 25 grand for my images too but let's face it, your odds of finding such a client is as good as striking 10 mil Toto. Why? First, no one will pay you that kind of money for a "photograph" here, at least not now. Second, the next person waiting in the line will do it for $400.

I think he's too busy to shoot, coz he seems to be running workshops or some courses now.
;)

Oh I see.;p

Does anyone know the rates for shooting architecture (actually more like nicer "premises" shots lah) and sports?

It it charged by per picture? If so, what is the range of charge?

And in the end, the thread starter hasn't got his questions answered.:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.