Rat-fishing eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wong1979

Aug 16, 2005
Hi, just want to share something interesting to u guys. Pls pardon the crappiness here despite some high standards here. I saw some eagles hovering above the sea and thought they must be fishing for fish until on closer inspection ...huh? Fish got tail meh?

200406-055.jpg

200406-056.jpg

I thought it could be some kind of monitor lizard or sea creature with a tail, but from the vague shape I can make out of, it looks like a rat. So I went googling and found out that indeed, a rat can swim half a mile out into the sea.

After which, I saw another eagle sparring with it, as if to snatch the food:

200406-067.jpg

Also, can anyone ID the eagles despite the very poor quality, thx.

All pics are 100% crops.

whoa... never knew that ... where is this taken?
did it snatch the tailed creature fresh from the sea? or did it drop it and recatch it? haha or was it trying to drown it first cos its ferocious?

Found them at Changi boardwalk. I've also noticed rats living below the wooden shelter on the sea. It can even walk upside down, amazing :bigeyes:

nice series here , u been so lucky to get it. cheer
i been looking for it , but still now no luck.

i think i've seen this bird yesterday when i was at boardwalk. nice catch on the action there even despite the poor quality.

You discovered a new species of bird!! :) Nice 'catch'!

JediForce4ever said:
:eek: Issit an Osprey?
Can the experienced birders cfm?Im just a newbie..:embrass:
Hmmm.. not an experienced birder, but I think Osprey's have a white head & breast. Could be another type of raptor.

looks like a Juv. White-bellied Eagle.
;)

mervin said:
looks like a Juv. White-bellied Eagle.
;)

yup, it should be. 1 bird expert has also confirmed this. well, i must say it really looks so diff from the adult.

since when fishes dont have tails? Fish's tail look different though. Sorry for trying to be funny. Thanks for sharing the series. Wonder if the birding expert here would like to give some pointers on how to shoot Eagles of other large flying birds. How to make this shot better?

Sorry to OT and borrow this tread.

I have got the ID of the bird from the expert, R Subaraj. Yes, it is the White-bellied Fish-Eagles.

fern37 said:
I have got the ID of the bird from the expert, R Subaraj. Yes, it is the White-bellied Fish-Eagles.
spore also have this bird? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.