Rash act or Infrastructure problem

d2xpeter

Deregistered
Dec 6, 2012
singapore
I would say BOTH.
Squeezing 7 million into a tiny space would inevitably cause width of road lanes to get narrower, in order to "optimize" traffic flow.
Cement mixer and many big buses can barely fit into existing lanes, leaving little room for error. Not to mention making a safe cycling path.
It is really tragic for the boys to die this way

I would say BOTH.
Squeezing 7 million into a tiny space would inevitably cause width of road lanes to get narrower, in order to "optimize" traffic flow.
Cement mixer and many big buses can barely fit into existing lanes, leaving little room for error. Not to mention making a safe cycling path.
It is really tragic for the boys to die this way
It is a tragedy, but let's not politicize this, please. I've seen enough posts on the internet attributing this incident to policies. That's quite a long shot from my point of view. I don't think our roads have gotten narrower over the years either. Cheers.

Accident will happen BUT we should be proactively find ways to prevent them from happening. With increase in population, activities such as construction, motorists, people crossing streets, etc will increased. These will ultimately open up more 'opportunities' for accidents.

Improving road intersections will not resolve exposure to accident but can improve. I feel reducing congestion and the competition of space use will be a better solution. Lorry trying to speed through while people trying to cross the road and other motorists just can't wait, etc.

There is only that amount of road we can build. priority should be given to public transport such as buses and taxi. Next come to private cars but they need to pay to use them. What I cannot understand is heavy vehicles and delivery vehicles plying the road during peak hours.

The cement mixer is driving to a construction site during peak hours. They need cement urgently? It is common to see empty lorry or heavy crane travelling in the morning peak hours to work site. Something is very wrong but nobody is looking into this. LTA know how to schedule road work off peak hours but just look around you. There are plently of heavy vehicles plying our roads during peak hours!

sorry what has 7m got to do with this? please see other cities around the region that are even more tightly packed than ours

nobody likes accidents and hopefully TP and LTA will set the proper directions in making our roads safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike

You can have gigantic boulevards ..... and accidents will still happen ..... everyone also have roles to play too while on the roads

I understand that dump trucks are paid on a per load basis so they tend to really rush like crazy to and from construction sites ... maybe put a speed limit and/or time of operation in residential areas etc etc

RIP young ones ..... condolences to the parents

Last edited:
yup, in some country trucks are not allow during peak hour. But during off peak they run like F1.

Another thing to note is that it is illegal for bicycles to be on the pedestrian walkway, and also to cross on a "green man" on the bicycle exactly because of this... The car/truck drivers are expecting pedestrians at pedestrian speeds, and not kids cycling at high speed across the crossing.

I'm not siding the driver but at times, they are under constant pressure to deliver concrete on the dot. A batch of concrete is considered useless if its not delivered within 2 hours after it was mixed in the plant. Further, concrete casting work have to be continuous to ensure structural integrity and that means concrete supply must be constant and uninterrupted during the entire process.

However, the lost of 2 young boys is most unnecessary. Safety takes precedent over everything else and its painful to see this tragedy. My wife read the news with watery eyes. Sincere condolences to the family.

let's have the sensibility to let police conduct their investigation

(unless you were a witness. do contact the police to give help )

and let's have to decency to let this matter and their souls rest

sorry what has 7m got to do with this? please see other cities around the region that are even more tightly packed than ours

nobody likes accidents and hopefully TP and LTA will set the proper directions in making our roads safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike

You can have gigantic boulevards ..... and accidents will still happen ..... everyone also have roles to play too while on the roads

I understand that dump trucks are paid on a per load basis so they tend to really rush like crazy to and from construction sites ... maybe put a speed limit and/or time of operation in residential areas etc etc

RIP young ones ..... condolences to the parents

err.. i thought SG is most densely packed country in the world?

Population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyclist should never be on the road ! Who set this stupid policy ?

Cyclist should never be on the road ! Who set this stupid policy ?

It's the law. Cyclists are actually not allowed on sidewalks. Cyclists are supposed to be on the road, and motorists must give them a safety distance.

It's the law. Cyclists are actually not allowed on sidewalks. Cyclists are supposed to be on the road, and motorists must give them a safety distance.

How many life has been lost? ??

But as usual, they are deaf....

Because if everyone take up cycling as a mode of transport, coe hv no demand, taxi no business, bus mrt no business. ..

As mentioned, we are only batteries to the system.

How many life has been lost? ??

But as usual, they are deaf....

Because if everyone take up cycling as a mode of transport, coe hv no demand, taxi no business, bus mrt no business. ..

As mentioned, we are only batteries to the system.

... u can't seem to wrap your skull across anything but politics ...

I think there's no wrong with the system....it's more of the discipline on how the people control their vehicles.

I think there's no wrong with the system....it's more of the discipline on how the people control their vehicles.

and pedestrians/cyclists to LOOK before crossing... Even today, there were so many jaywalkers and "death by iPhone" people anyhow crossing that junction.

Always look both ways before crossing, no matter what.

There is a 40 km/hr speed limiter on-board but it can be easily disable.

The concrete mixing transport truck‎ must have ran over the head of one of the boys. 60,000 kg of force is going to crush anything even at 1 km/hr.

and pedestrians/cyclists to LOOK before crossing... Even today, there were so many jaywalkers and "death by iPhone" people anyhow crossing that junction.

Always look both ways before crossing, no matter what.

very true...that's what I always tell my kids before crossing the streets

One Suggestion (Hopefully someone up there can consider):
Put carpark barrier at traffic light junctions near busy or school zones... it should not cost much right.
Effectively, vehicles will have to slow down. No more useless slow down Sign ...

Another thing to note is that it is illegal for bicycles to be on the pedestrian walkway, and also to cross on a "green man" on the bicycle exactly because of this... The car/truck drivers are expecting pedestrians at pedestrian speeds, and not kids cycling at high speed across the crossing.

Oh, you might wish to point that out to cyclists. There's this walkway near my place full of bicycles, and the cyclists expect to be given right of way. That's fine and logical but they should really keep in mind that it can be quite frustrating for pedestrians. Once a lady got fed up because she was zig zagging due to the insistence of the cyclists travelling there not to go in a straight line therefore making her move from side to side. She told a cyclist with his girlfriend or wife on the back of the bicycle that "he was not supposed to be here and should be on the road". The cyclist got down and started shouting vulgarities at her and challenging her to a showdown. Macho man. :bsmilie: From my POV, he looked rather silly and ungentlemanly.