Rash act or Infrastructure problem

The road is meant to be shared, agreed.

I am both a cyclist and a motorist, and I have been in close shaves on a bicycle, as well as while driving.

You have a right to feel what you feel. I don't dispute your feeling and it is not an isolated complaint, obviously.

But I don't think it's right to link anything and everything, including 2 tragic deaths resulting from an unfortunate event, to policy. Having more people, having less people, what happened happened. It's riding on another person/group of person's misfortune to vent your frustration. That's where I'm coming from and I hope you understand this point. Cheers.

noted Sir.
Just that as a Singaporean, i am really quite concerned with what have been happening in recent years.
If my memory serves me right, seems that i dont recall so many freak things happening in the distant past, such as trees falling killing drivers, trees falling killing NSmen, bus driver knocking a women crossing a pedestrian crossing and dragged her underneath the bus for quite a distance, bus driver lost his way in Orchard Rd, Orchard Rd flooded:sweat:[unbelievable], trees falling crashing cars [not once but several times within a short period of time], continual trains breakdown ....and many more which i cannot recall at this moment.:sweat:

noted Sir.
Just that as a Singaporean, i am really quite concerned with what have been happening in recent years.
If my memory serves me right, seems that i dont recall so many freak things happening in the distant past, such as trees falling killing drivers, trees falling killing NSmen, bus driver knocking a women crossing a pedestrian crossing and dragged her underneath the bus for quite a distance, bus driver lost his way in Orchard Rd, Orchard Rd flooded:sweat:[unbelievable], trees falling crashing cars [not once but several times within a short period of time], continual trains breakdown ....and many more which i cannot recall at this moment.:sweat:

I guess one thing that the past was lacking was social media. Everything spreads like wildfire on our networked society these days.

I would say BOTH.
Squeezing 7 million into a tiny space would inevitably cause width of road lanes to get narrower, in order to "optimize" traffic flow.
Cement mixer and many big buses can barely fit into existing lanes, leaving little room for error. Not to mention making a safe cycling path.
It is really tragic for the boys to die this way

You cannot blame everything on infrastructure.
Singapore is still one of the country with least traffic accident.

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many countries infrastructure are much worst than Singapore but because many motorists are willing to give way to others.
The traffic accidents are much less than expected.

The number one killer on the road is speed.
If the infrastructure is as bad as India, people cannot drive fast and therefore less people get kill by speeding vehicle.
In USA, the infrastructure is good and people like to speed. Therefore, the road accident due to speeding is more than other countries.

Last edited:
I am usually in canon discussion thread and you may go and see if I linked everything with politics.

Of course everyone have their perspective and I'm just sharing mine. Readers here ought to be matured to know if my link is valid or if it is wild accusations.

Sure. But to take every single little thing and then (forcefully) try to link it to further some (not so well hidden) agenda?

Drivers being paid based on the number of trips is certainly one of the reasons for less thoughtful driving of such trucks and private buses.
Policing will help too.
I see too much TP policing on larger roads and expressways and less so in small neighbourhood roads.
Just the other day, I witnessed a BMW just shoot thru the traffic lights even when it had turned red when the car was at least 8m away.
It would have slammed into a father pushing a pram if the father was just a bit faster in crossing the lights which had just signaled 'green man'.

The national policy/idea for cyclist as well as the money spend so far is a joke.
There are many type of cyclist (slow uncle; parent with child; kids;foreigh worker who 'owns' the roads and ignores traffic flow; enthusiast that is scared of roads; enthusiast 'hardcore' that shun pavements; etc).
All of them have different needs, yet the government only paints them with the same brush.
So the result is a messed up unclear policy on whether cyclist should be on road or pavement and that "all" cyclists 'need' slow poke and poorly implemented park connectors and not demarcated bike lines on existing roads (ie. just road markings not new dedicated bike lane).

Anyway, condolences for the family.
Very very tragic. Nothing can replace the loss.

treasure life and others around you. nobody knows the time we are recalled to Heaven . even cats can run down to their last life .

You cannot blame everything on infrastructure.
Singapore is still one of the country with least traffic accident.

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many countries infrastructure are much worst than Singapore but because many motorists are willing to give way to others.
The traffic accidents are much less than expected.

The number one killer on the road is speed.
If the infrastructure is as bad as India, people cannot drive fast and therefore less people get kill by speeding vehicle.
In USA, the infrastructure is good and people like to speed. Therefore, the road accident due to speeding is more than other countries.

i hv to agree with you. Was in South Africa's Cape Town for about 3 mths and hv to say that was my best driving experience in my whole life. Most drivers there are very courteous and most willing to give way. Took me a week to accustom back to singapore's way of driving when back. LOL

treasure life and others around you. nobody knows the time we are recalled to Heaven . even cats can run down to their last life .

well, at least they hv got eight chances before it runs out. LOL

Last edited:
noted Sir.

short of a freak election results.....LOL.

My bad, should not talk about politics, sorry

Last edited:
Sure. But to take every single little thing and then (forcefully) try to link it to further some (not so well hidden) agenda?

We can agree to disagree.....

I do not dictate the law. Law says no riding on pavement for cyclist but how many died riding on the road? I hv no results for you....

They refused to let cyclist ride on pavement but some still do... I got hit by one before.... lucky he brake and i was not too badly hurt.. he was worse... and why they refuses to broaden the pavement? I have no money and authority to broaden the pavement.

If I'm hospitalised and or injured... he get fined or jail.... but all such daily incident could hv been avoided if pavement is wide enough for all.....

Lesser cyclist would have died.... plus..... if you want to say I forcefully link.... you must have also seen how prc and Indian national ride their bicycle..... creating more risk for drivers n pedestrian too........

Oh... and I think every little thing in our life is affected by their policies. .. don't you think so???

Last edited:
short of a freak election results.....LOL.

My bad, should not talk about politics, sorry

Please... no politics in this kopi tiam....

But some coffeeshop. .. most ah Pek talk about that too leh.. lol....

i hv to agree with you. Was in South Africa's Cape Town for about 3 mths and hv to say that was my best driving experience in my whole life. Most drivers there are very courteous and most willing to give way. Took me a week to accustom back to singapore's way of driving when back. LOL

When I read of Singaporean who drove in overseas and met with misfortune..... I do wonder if they brought their local driving style overseas????

Well.... in SG... city life will be different from S. Africa I suppose.... SG is stressing, and everyone is rushing..... time is money?? But they forget that Life once lost is irreplaceable.....

i did a rough estimate. approximately 1 NSF/Regular/related SAF personnel either suffered severe injuries, or died, ever since i stepped into SAF, every month.

i remember smoke grenade 1 die, run halfway 1 die, recently 1 more the 1st batt guards one suicide, and one drown in brunei, and more and more and more.

so my fault lah! cause i got bad luck and i bring to army?

You should bring these facts to the SAF, they will sure give exemption :bsmilie:

You should bring these facts to the SAF, they will sure give exemption :bsmilie:
In February 2001, a father's son died in the navy while serving NS.

He went and met his MP, Mr. Chan Soo Sen (Joo Chiat SMC) to see if it is possible to exempt his second son from NS. Chan Soo Sen reply...???

"What traumatic? After two months, you won’t be traumatic."

Last edited:
I believe when TS post this thread, the intension was to highlight the possible causes for the accident and how to avoid them.

Inevitably, with increase in populations, it means more cars, more constructions, busier roads, more competition for space and of course rush and hectic lifestyle. Net result, more accidents.

Just compare working in Jurong and Raffles Place. You would be overwhelm by the crowd during peak hours. So, while we cope with 7 million, we should plan how to share the use if common spaces.

I believe when TS post this thread, the intension was to highlight the possible causes for the accident and how to avoid them.

Inevitably, with increase in populations, it means more cars, more constructions, busier roads, more competition for space and of course rush and hectic lifestyle. Net result, more accidents.

Just compare working in Jurong and Raffles Place. You would be overwhelm by the crowd during peak hours. So, while we cope with 7 million, we should plan how to share the use if common spaces.

so true.

Its the trend now. Whenever an incident happens, armchair advisors start popping up all over the net, pointing fingers at every direction. Are we that well-fed for the past 50 years, we can't even get our act together and start taking responsibility for our own action? Seems like it.