Ranting about Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhipLash

May 15, 2006
Ok, another series of noob questions from a uber noob! :cool:

1. How can Nikon camera trigger flash wirelessly without using an external transmitter, and how does it work (IR/optical)? Versus Canon DSLRs which require ET52?

2. Does activating a flash optically make it susceptible to inadvertent flash activation via other photog's flash close by (or is there some sort of signal / channel thingy involved that prevents this?)

3. How does Nissin flashes compare with the 430EXII, besides guide number? The 430 activates via IR but Nissin thru optical - does that mean I can forgo the ET52 and PW for Nissin flashes?

Thanks in advance!

I'll try my best to answer..

1. If I'm not mistaken, its via IR signals from the built inflash..
2. Yes it does. The difference between these optical and IR systems is that optical the flash activates as soon as it sees any sudden burst of light. Whereas IR systems, its in the form of coded flashes that tells the flash what to do.
3. Yes, but you'll have to take note that your 450D built-in would have a E-TTL preflash that may activate it prematurely. Plus you're limited to working in close range and line-of-sight with either optical or IR ie. the flash must "see" the triggering pulse.

for nikon, the master speedlight or built-in flash of certain models communicate with remote flash units located anywhere within a reasonable distance of up to ten meters. they do this by pre-flashes from the master. to prevent your setup from being triggered by another photographer, you have four channels to choose from. so four photographers can have their own setup in the same place without affecting each other.

Ok, another series of noob questions from a uber noob! :cool:

1. How can Nikon camera trigger flash wirelessly without using an external transmitter, and how does it work (IR/optical)? Versus Canon DSLRs which require ET52?

2. Does activating a flash optically make it susceptible to inadvertent flash activation via other photog's flash close by (or is there some sort of signal / channel thingy involved that prevents this?)

3. How does Nissin flashes compare with the 430EXII, besides guide number? The 430 activates via IR but Nissin thru optical - does that mean I can forgo the ET52 and PW for Nissin flashes?

Thanks in advance!

both canon and nikon relies on light signal from the flash to transmit n trigger the flash. it is the light behind the red plastic bit that does it. unfortunately it is actually not IR light but normal light. but basically both system works in the same manner.

if u referring to optical slave as receivers, then yes. if u referring to the nikon/canon flash, then no unless both using same channel.

the canon as mention, gets adjusted n triggered using the white light from the master flash whereas the nissin only gets triggers when it senses a flash. u will not be able to adjust the power from the master flash, unlike the 430.

Status
Not open for further replies.