RANT: stupid placement of watermarks on photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before (the CS search function dont work...) but I personally find it annoying when a watermark (or copyright, etc) is placed right in the dead centre of a photo! If you are going to show off or share your photos, be sensible, move the damn watermark to the side where it is un-obtrusive, for crying out loud!

have we reached a point where we are so afraid of work stealing that we have to even do this at this little community here at CS? :eek: this is rather sickening

because this is an open forum, all are free to join, there are bound to be those who are out to leech photos for personal gain... there was one such issue on the papers juz say 2 mths ago...

personally i dun see anything wrong wif the watermark la....its people's choice how big they want it to be, end of the day, i can still see the shot can le...

juz my 2 cts

cheers..

i feel that we should work together and report infringement of our copyright to each other.
this is so that we can find a scapegoat and make an example of him/her.

Say sue for damages of $10K?

BTW I feel that the watermark right in the middle spoils the image.
Anyone want to leech my pictures?

Sometime ago I was posting similar thread. by the way, I personally don't put watermark. If people die die wanna leech I bo bian also. But up to certain extend. hehehe..

ortega said:
i feel that we should work together and report infringement of our copyright to each other.
this is so that we can find a scapegoat and make an example of him/her.

Say sue for damages of $10K?

BTW I feel that the watermark right in the middle spoils the image.
Anyone want to leech my pictures?

ohhh sue for cash ... i like the sound of tt man.... any extra cash is welcome ya hahaha

the stupid placement of watermarks on photos do serve a purposes, especially those model shoots.

i think the overalll community do want to show their photos but due to some leechers on this site and claim that they took the photos and post on websites like S*G**ls, & S*****b*y.

Maybe can try invisible watermark which Photoshop has it.

but right in the middle? doesnt that spoils the photo?
IMHO that appears like a 6 year old trying to protect his homework... :sweat:

go into any photography sites or stock photo sites and their photos have watermarks, but at a properly placed location, not dead centre, or somewhere covering the main subject of a photo or view of the viewer. I find this practise very annoying and childish. If a person is determined to steal your work, they can still do it anyway, so the watermark covering subject thing is annoying to average viewers like us.

Susan: Lisa, I bought a new dress today, wanna see it?
Lisa: of course, where is it?
Susan: here Lisa, is it nice? comments please! I cant wait to show this dress to everyone!
Lisa: but Susan, its still wrapped in the box, how can I see the dress this way?
Susan: I'm afraid you will steal my dress, so I'm only showing you my dress in the box.

michhy said:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before (the CS search function dont work...) but I personally find it annoying when a watermark (or copyright, etc) is placed right in the dead centre of a photo! If you are going to show off or share your photos, be sensible, move the damn watermark to the side where it is un-obtrusive, for crying out loud!

have we reached a point where we are so afraid of work stealing that we have to even do this at this little community here at CS? :eek: this is rather sickening

People are just schizophrenic. They are desperate for others to see their photos (so they post them) but then again they do not want people to see them without paying. They know (and frequently say upfront) that their photos are not that great to start with, but think they should be paid immense sums if someone wants to use it. They are paranoid about someone "stealing" their photos, while happily pirating music and complaining if the music industry starts watermarking its products.

If you want your photos not to be copied, there's a sure way: lock them away in a drawer instead of posting them on the web.

LittleWolf said:
People are just schizophrenic. They are desperate for others to see their photos (so they post them) but then again they do not want people to see them without paying. They know (and frequently say upfront) that their photos are not that great to start with, but think they should be paid immense sums if someone wants to use it. They are paranoid about someone "stealing" their photos, while happily pirating music and complaining if the music industry starts watermarking its products.

If you want your photos not to be copied, there's a sure way: lock them away in a drawer instead of posting them on the web.

exactly!

LittleWolf said:

That's a harsh way of putting it, but I agree. And I'm annoyed especially when the photographer/poster actually post it up for comments, or sharing in the first place.

Although the images might be leeched for some websites as mentioned in an earlier post, the limited size of the images that can be posted to CS make them pretty useless any use that might earn real money anyway (unless you doing it via a link to a huge HQ image hosted on another site) so the watermark thing does not really accomplish much.

Come to think of it, it might feel good to know that someone thinks my shots are worth stealing :D

I never watermark any of my photos. Que sera sera.

Heh unfortunately you need to spend cash to try to get the extra cash :p

Witness said:
ohhh sue for cash ... i like the sound of tt man.... any extra cash is welcome ya hahaha

michhy said:
That's a harsh way of putting it

But - in my experience - an effective way to get a message through :). And before anyone feels insulted: I am not above some of the behaviours I am criticizing.

LittleWolf said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: could not have said it better myself. Straight to the point.

Deadpoet said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: could not have said it better myself. Straight to the point.

I think we have to promote LittleWolf to the rank of "Quote Master" liao :bsmilie:
and here's the slogan for him "if you dont know how to say it, let LittleWolf say it" :sticktong

I actually think there are 2 purposes of watermark:
1. This is my photo dont steal it
2. If u got lobang let me know

Well, you may still be out of pocket as you never get back 100% of costs.

ortega said:
then you sue for costs as well and copyright infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.