Rangefinder lens (M mount) on film slr body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indi.Lens

Apr 25, 2005
West in the little red dot
Hi,

Heard that slr lenses can be fitted to rangefinders but not the other way round. However, is there some kind of an adapter that will fit a rangefinder M mount lens onto a nikon FG film slr camera? If yes, where to get one?

Sorry for this stupid question. Went through the web but could not find any info about RF lenses on slr bodies. Trust the experts here would help me on this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

cheers!
Indi.Lens

Very nice overview about lens mounts: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Lens-adapters.html~mainFrame
Also a good read-up in Wikipedia about lens mounts.
Basically, if a lens has a longer registration and a smaller diameter than the 'host body' it is easier to fit. Any adapter can increase the space between body and lens and bridge the difference in diameter. But the other way around doesn't work: a lens cannot made to be closer to the sensor / film plane. It would collide with the mirror. So you can compare the dimensions from the different mounts and see if there is a possible way. If yes then I guess there will be an adapter.

Very nice overview about lens mounts: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Lens-adapters.html~mainFrame
Also a good read-up in Wikipedia about lens mounts.
Basically, if a lens has a longer registration and a smaller diameter than the 'host body' it is easier to fit. Any adapter can increase the space between body and lens and bridge the difference in diameter. But the other way around doesn't work: a lens cannot made to be closer to the sensor / film plane. It would collide with the mirror. So you can compare the dimensions from the different mounts and see if there is a possible way. If yes then I guess there will be an adapter.
Thanks a bunch Octarine. Very useful links especially the photoethnography link. Well, i guess i am out of luck on trying to fit rangefinder lenses on slr bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.