Rangefinder help ma lah oi!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermsDayOut

Aug 19, 2003
www.instagram.com
Hi guys,

I got problem... biiig problem... :cry: i'm so used to autofocusing, that when i use my RF, i find it really difficult to focus. or on better days, i take quite some time to focus. by then, subject sian liao...

so how did you guys overcome this to get good sharp pictures? any tips? do you estimate the distance then just whack and make finer adjustments through the viewfinder?

thanks in advance man... :sweat:

You just need to get used to the twin image focusing. But if you are shooting a lot in nicely lit areas and don't need wide open apertures, you might want to learn more about the effects of depth of field and how to use the hyper-focal distance markers on the lens. This will give you more chances of capturing the scene because at smaller aperture settings (say f/8 and above), there is a larger depth of field (i.e. more area in focus). So combine this with the proper distance estimation, you can easily fine-tune your focus quite quickly on the viewfinder.

JermsDayOut said:
Hi guys,

I got problem... biiig problem... :cry: i'm so used to autofocusing, that when i use my RF, i find it really difficult to focus. or on better days, i take quite some time to focus. by then, subject sian liao...

so how did you guys overcome this to get good sharp pictures? any tips? do you estimate the distance then just whack and make finer adjustments through the viewfinder?

getting the pic is paramount, so if there isn't time, guess distance and whack, or simply whack. if there is more time, focus more accurately. pre-focusing hyperfocally is good too. i usually pre-focus to 6ft and snap away.

to focus quicker with my rf, i usually focus on an edge of the subject then recompose. i find that it's easier to see the ghost image and align them when working on the edge.

Yups, vertical edges are the best for focusing, as on horizontal you can't really see when the images merge...
Depending on the rangefinder you using, you can try sticking a color gel like blue or red over the viewfinder composition window so your ghost image is a different color when viewed through the finder... might be easier for you to compose that way if you're finding it difficult.

JermsDayOut said:
Hi guys,

Pre-judge the subject distance first and set it on your lens. Then fine-tune from your rangefinder, it is faster via this method.

tingchiyen said:
Yups, vertical edges are the best for focusing, as on horizontal you can't really see when the images merge...
Depending on the rangefinder you using, you can try sticking a color gel like blue or red over the viewfinder composition window so your ghost image is a different color when viewed through the finder... might be easier for you to compose that way if you're finding it difficult.

whoa!!! this is good stuff!!! think i'll go try. as for focusing on vertical edges and using the focal gauge on the lens, that's what i usually do, but i guess it's lack of practice so i'm not fast enough... anyway, i love taking f4.0 on rangefinders cos i like foreground focusing... but thanks for the reminders guys...

hey tingchiyen... could you elaborate more on the color gel thing? where can i get them? thanks in advance man.. this is really something i didn't think of :bigeyes:

for the rest of the guys.... thanks for you help man!!! i appreciate it lots :D

Just cellophane, or if you've got some lying around, the color gels you usually use for studio flash etc.
I haven't actually tried this myself, but it was what a lao-jiao RF user advised me when i first got into RFs... i never found the need to test it out, but technically the idea is sound. The fella said orange or red gels the best effect. You have to position it over the window that adjusts the focal plane (usually on the front centre of most RFs), and not the viewfinder window, ie. the end that you put your eye to (see whether this makes sense.) Try it and let us know how it goes. ;)
---
Update: I just tried it on my canonet using blue and orange gels, basically what happens is that the ghost image turns a different color, makes it easier to spot the edges of the ghost from the direct image. I think red gel would give you the best effect. Might help you a little with that focusing... but nothing beats practice!

From what I know, why people use color gel for their rangefinder is for later batch Leica M4-2, Leica M4-P and Leica M6.
It is becoz all those above cameras that I had stated above have the rangefinder focusing patch flare out when point at some angles of strong light.
With some pratice with the pre-focus technics, one will be able to focus and shoot very fast.

tingchiyen said:
Just cellophane, or if you've got some lying around, the color gels you usually use for studio flash etc.
I haven't actually tried this myself, but it was what a lao-jiao RF user advised me when i first got into RFs... i never found the need to test it out, but technically the idea is sound. The fella said orange or red gels the best effect. You have to position it over the window that adjusts the focal plane (usually on the front centre of most RFs), and not the viewfinder window, ie. the end that you put your eye to (see whether this makes sense.) Try it and let us know how it goes. ;)
---
Update: I just tried it on my canonet using blue and orange gels, basically what happens is that the ghost image turns a different color, makes it easier to spot the edges of the ghost from the direct image. I think red gel would give you the best effect. Might help you a little with that focusing... but nothing beats practice!

which RF u using?

XXX Boy said:
I am using a Leica M6 with Motor-M.

yup i know u r a Leica user XXXboy..

but i'm refering to jerms...

Status
Not open for further replies.