Not open for further replies.

Skye Tan

Sep 14, 2005
singapore
www.skyetan.com
Photographed & Styled by skye tan

Img8524bw2.jpg

Img8243.jpg

Cool stuff Skye.. saw your recent shots of Charlie Yeung on ICON Singapore :thumbsup:

wow! great shot! :thumbsup:

Picture one is a killer ! Awesome ! :thumbsup:

BTW did a serie, called office mayhem in answer to your comment on the internal voice.

What I like are things out of place. But it is not easy for me to make a girl fry an egg in the middle of an industrial warehouse.

Will get there maybe one day ! :angel:

thks for raising the subject !:thumbsup:

Picture one is a killer ! Awesome ! :thumbsup:

BTW did a serie, called office mayhem in answer to your comment on the internal voice.

What I like are things out of place. But it is not easy for me to make a girl fry an egg in the middle of an industrial warehouse.

Will get there maybe one day ! :angel:

thks for raising the subject !:thumbsup:

Loupisk... i've seens your pictures.. I have some pointers for u..But first, do reflect on what u want out of photography in the future. Do u really want to excel in it or u are just taking it as a form of leisure. To crit u when u are so new is really unfair.. and I have to remind u that I am very nit picky as i am doing this for a living.

Good points: good attempt in trying to tell a story. Your effort is really remarkable.

Not so good point:
1) Your work come across as amateurish.. If u want people to take u seriously as a proffessional photographer, work on your presentation of your photography artwork. Your aesthetic sensability only reveals a young photographer who is just fooling around with his concepts and ideas. Not that it's wrong making funny pictures.. but the delievery of it is far too "raw" to qualify as an artwork and for people to take u as a serious photographer.

2) When I say soul of a work.. i do not actually mean your mind and concept.. But rather the sensability of the work. I.e like watching a piece of art film.. i.e does it come across as something matured and complex in term of visual quality?... I recommend u to start to watching movies of artistic content.. Understand the complexity of emotions, the reality or acting which replicates or mirror life. Learn to be a convincing movie director. Learn to freeze life. ( moment in time)

I think i have written alot over the pass few days.. But I don't think i can do this for too long as I am also leaving the country for a couple of months..and I might not be able to get internet assess that readily.. I hope u guys understand something from what I want to deliver here.. That is to really expose yourself to more work from international context.. I seriously think that the only way to improve is to really to see more or what photography, or movies, or art has been done around the world.. Not just to hollywood stuff.. or some chinese water colour painting..or photography technique books..

Try to mature as a photographer and don't take excuses such as that u don't have time, dunno where to find resources, or you are not ready.. Nobody is born ready in the first place.. Including me. And if u really want to see great results in your work... u have to realise that u cannot take what u are doing at the present as acceptable.. But to always expect more from your work and what u are capable of delivering. I am still constantly doing that to myself as well.. I hope these advise will be useful to u as well as the rest of the CS photographers who want to lift their works to another level. Goodluck

I think i have written alot over the pass few days.. But I don't think i can do this for too long as I am also leaving the country for a couple of months..and I might not be able to get internet assess that readily.. I hope u guys understand something from what I want to deliver here.. That is to really expose yourself to more work from international context.. I seriously think that the only way to improve is to really to see more or what photography, or movies, or art has been done around the world.. Not just to hollywood stuff.. or some chinese water colour painting..or photography technique books..

Don't just leave us lor. I am sure there are ample net access in Germany. If you are gone we will be lost :)

btw, have fun studying German ...

Loupisk... i've seens your pictures.. I have some pointers for u..But first, do reflect on what u want out of photography in the future. Do u really want to excel in it or u are just taking it as a form of leisure. To crit u when u are so new is really unfair.. and I have to remind u that I am very nit picky as i am doing this for a living.

Good points: good attempt in trying to tell a story. Your effort is really remarkable.

Not so good point:
1) Your work come across as amateurish.. If u want people to take u seriously as a proffessional photographer, work on your presentation of your photography artwork. Your aesthetic sensability only reveals a young photographer who is just fooling around with his concepts and ideas. Not that it's wrong making funny pictures.. but the delievery of it is far too "raw" to qualify as an artwork and for people to take u as a serious photographer.

2) When I say soul of a work.. i do not actually mean your mind and concept.. But rather the sensability of the work. I.e like watching a piece of art film.. i.e does it come across as something matured and complex in term of visual quality?... I recommend u to start to watching movies of artistic content.. Understand the complexity of emotions, the reality or acting which replicates or mirror life. Learn to be a convincing movie director. Learn to freeze life. ( moment in time)

Try to mature as a photographer and don't take excuses such as that u don't have time, dunno where to find resources, or you are not ready.. Nobody is born ready in the first place.. Including me. And if u really want to see great results in your work... u have to realise that u cannot take what u are doing at the present as acceptable.. But to always expect more from your work and what u are capable of delivering. I am still constantly doing that to myself as well.. I hope these advise will be useful to u as well as the rest of the CS photographers who want to lift their works to another level. Goodluck
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheesecake, I am perplexed why you gave Skye Tan's post 2 thumbs up?

His commnets has weights and substance, but his manner of delivery is condensending. Who does he thinks he is, Avendon, Litchfield? I doubt the masters would talk in such a belittling manner. Having a few spreads in magazines does not make one a master, nor does it give one the right, the authority or the super to downplay another photographers approach to their style. Skye's pictures are ok. but his over the top attitude as well as his ego.. has a lot more to be desired.... the admins in CS are trying very hard to promote a community of photographers who encourage each other to greater heights, but i am sure stepping on other people faces in a indirect way to boost ones own ego is contary to that... a egomanic's frail attempt to justify his own existence? :bsmilie:

btw... PBS has been around for a long time... way before MASTER photographer Skye Tan, whose style and art direction is almost a photocopy, appeared on the scene. PBS has a much better attitude though... and that has my respect. Grow up punk... :bsmilie:

btw... PBS has been around for a long time... way before MASTER photographer Skye Tan, whose style and art direction is almost a photocopy, appeared on the scene. PBS has a much better attitude though... and that has my respect. Grow up punk... :bsmilie:

btw, with due respect to PBS whom i have hardly know other than the abbreviation "PBS". I have not seen his work. neither have i know him in person. But doens't mean i have no respect for him and i won't want to challenge him. I sorry to have hurt the respect u have for your beloved Master who u think is better then me.. or that i am just a copy.. But really i don't have to answer to u in regards to my influence of work. If u think my work is just revolving around "PBS" i can only tell u frankly that u are wasting your time replying this message. and thatyou should go around and see what the other half of the world is doing in terms of fashion photography.. I am in no position to tell u this but perhaps before u start asking other to grow up...please turn around and look at yourself in the mirror

His commnets has weights and substance, but his manner of delivery is condensending. Who does he thinks he is, Avendon, Litchfield? I doubt the masters would talk in such a belittling manner. Having a few spreads in magazines does not make one a master, nor does it give one the right, the authority or the super to downplay another photographers approach to their style. Skye's pictures are ok. but his over the top attitude as well as his ego.. has a lot more to be desired.... the admins in CS are trying very hard to promote a community of photographers who encourage each other to greater heights, but i am sure stepping on other people faces in a indirect way to boost ones own ego is contary to that... a egomanic's frail attempt to justify his own existence? :bsmilie:

AA.. i am not here to belittle anyone.. Neither am I a master.. As said, it easiler to be a nice person and give all the nicest comments all the time than rather be a freak to other people.. Infact I am risking my reputation for what purpose? I could jolly well do my stuff and really don't give a damn with CS again. I am happy with doing what i do for a living anyway.

The reason why i do what i do is not to justify my own existence.. I don't need to do that as i don't need regconition from CS. neither do i need it from you. Because I have been there and i know how is it like being a struggling artist and trying to get help and don't exactly know how. Talk is cheap and the doing is hard..

Whatever i do, definately people will question me about my actions and interigity.. And i am fine with that because people will talk anyway.. I have gone beyond my own comfort zone to listen you guy questioning about my intergrity but i still do it nevertheless. Not to prove anything.. but truely the intention to motivate new blood in the photography scene.. And frankly, i think we need that... If eveyone thinks of just happy go lucky, I sorry to say the the already grime arts scenes will continue to drive all the best out of the country in years to come. Nothing get change after so many year because even the locals don't support singapore labels. They are not proud of their own countrymen until they make it big elsewhere. ironically... artist kills artist.

If u think i am stepping on other faces... it's really your perception, and i can't change that. i should then slam without giving reasons to anybody..But i still choose to be answerable up to this point

Some people have been sending me private messages asking me why should i even bother. why should i risk my intergrity and putting myself in such a notorious profile?... My heart is heavy because I am frustrated. I am pissed with the current and I have a passion to see the industry changing. Yet am powerless at the same time to do that alone. If i can only influence just one person in this clubsnap who is motivated to create even better works.. it's worth it.. say what u want...

Hereby CSnapper... i declear I am not a master.. neither am i somebody..And i don't think that i am better than anybody here. Slam my work if u think it's shitty.. as I do make mistake afterall. I don't know if i am doing the right thing here in terms of my delievery.. and my style of delievery will not fit everybody. But what is "acceptable" to u may not be for others... At least what i can do is to be honest about it.

Hey Skye, only met you once (in the MOS shoot in yr studio), but the impression you gave was one of humbleness and professional. Subjectivity will always reign in this part of our world. As you said, you are what you are. So live your life as you deem fit. Kudos to you. Many well wishes for your next step in life in germany. Cheers!

PBS is very good.

Skye Tan is also very good.

both haf a very high standard in fashion photography and i enjoy viewing their works.

i am simply someone who enjoyed their works and is glad they post their photos here and share their experience with us.

i belif i haf much to learn from the both of them and am glad that the local fashion photography scene have such high standard of photography.

i do not draw a line and say, "i think that so n so is beta than so n so". i think everyone's different and have their own unique style in portraying and illustrating their point or view.

i just happen to agree with Skye Tan and his views on seeking perfection in photography and i belif it is true not only in the relentless pursuit of art, but in our livelihood as well but then again, that's another story for another day.

i just enjoy very good works from top photographers who took the effort and time to share their thoughts and experiences with members of CS.

PBS is very good.

i belif it is true not only in the relentless pursuit of art, but in our livelihood as well but then again, that's another story for another day.

Cheesecake thanks for thr reply.. Your writing have proved to me that whatever i do in clubsnap is worth doing for. If everyone can start thinking like what u do in making art as a part of our life, i believe the future will be be more exciting and that art will definately thrive here. To me, it's not another story.. Life and art is related.. Your love for life is reflected in your work. Likewise my work is a reflection of my passion to my art/life. If u have shitty work, blame no one for it because it's really about a personal choice. Its shows your dedication towards it, it shows your attitude toward it. your work reflects your entire attitude toward life, it reflects who u really are.

Cheesecake thanks for thr reply.. Your writing have proved to me that whatever i do in clubsnap is worth doing for. If everyone can start thinking like what u do in making art as a part of our life, i believe the future will be be more exciting and that art will definately thrive here. To me, it's not another story.. Life and art is related.. Your love for life is reflected in your work. Likewise my work is a reflection of my passion to my art/life. If u have shitty work, blame no one for it because it's really about a personal choice. Its shows your dedication towards it, it shows your attitude toward it. your work reflects your entire attitude toward life, it reflects who u really are.

cheers!!

btw, with due respect to PBS whom i have hardly know other than the abbreviation "PBS". I have not seen his work. neither have i know him in person. But doens't mean i have no respect for him and i won't want to challenge him. I sorry to have hurt the respect u have for your beloved Master who u think is better then me.. or that i am just a copy.. But really i don't have to answer to u in regards to my influence of work. If u think my work is just revolving around "PBS" i can only tell u frankly that u are wasting your time replying this message. and thatyou should go around and see what the other half of the world is doing in terms of fashion photography.. I am in no position to tell u this but perhaps before u start asking other to grow up...please turn around and look at yourself in the mirror

I'm Cedric Lim.. You don't need to know me, my works are mediocre.... I think you definitely did more magazine work than I did... I just have so many reasons why I wouldn't really wanna do magazine work....

I think your stuff kick asses... I like your work, however I do find them relatively expected of the many good local photographers in town...I don't wanna bring down the happy mood, but I didn't see a signature on it.... It's like Wee Khim and his award winning white background(i'm not poking criticism but what the pictures are kinda telling is that good PR skills does so much and that's on top of the success he's been riding for so many years... Realise he never dies?.. Mark's eye for technical details encompassing fashion photography intrigues me... So little set up needed for him, but does so much mood... Looking at them before does make me feel stupid in trying to do up a complex set up for my lights wherereas the core elements(plural) of fashion photography is just not good skills alone.... The success of your shoot does go to Eddie as well.. I met him on several occasions when I was a freelance asst in WK/ Mark's studio... Boy, another chap who kick asses, no nonsense guy... working with stylist like him and I'm sure you have no chance in failing a shoot whatsoever, just no chances of failing... You fail it and most possibly it's gonna be your last time......

Your work does remind me of ChuanDo....almost the same looks in all... I ain't saying you copied, but there's only so much one can be original...We flip magazines, sift through tons of tear sheets, surf through umpteen amount of pages in the internet, sometimes only to find out that what we thought is original has already been done somewhere else...Kinda like everybody did the same thing anyway...

However, I wish you well in everything you do and aspire... and if you speak up for your work a lil' more( not in CS, but the magazines/stylists/clients) like getting concepts your way... You'll find it beneficial in the years to come...

A name you don't need to know,

PBS

I'm Cedric Lim.. You don't need to know me, my works are mediocre.... I think you definitely did more magazine work than I did... I just have so many reasons why I wouldn't really wanna do magazine work....

I think your stuff kick asses... I like your work, however I do find them relatively expected of the many good local photographers in town...I don't wanna bring down the happy mood, but I didn't see a signature on it.... It's like Wee Khim and his award winning white background(i'm not poking criticism but what the pictures are kinda telling is that good PR skills does so much and that's on top of the success he's been riding for so many years... Realise he never dies?.. Mark's eye for technical details encompassing fashion photography intrigues me... So little set up needed for him, but does so much mood... Looking at them before does make me feel stupid in trying to do up a complex set up for my lights wherereas the core elements(plural) of fashion photography is just not good skills alone.... The success of your shoot does go to Eddie as well.. I met him on several occasions when I was a freelance asst in WK/ Mark's studio... Boy, another chap who kick asses, no nonsense guy... working with stylist like him and I'm sure you have no chance in failing a shoot whatsoever, just no chances of failing... You fail it and most possibly it's gonna be your last time......

Your work does remind me of ChuanDo....almost the same looks in all... I ain't saying you copied, but there's only so much one can be original...We flip magazines, sift through tons of tear sheets, surf through umpteen amount of pages in the internet, sometimes only to find out that what we thought is original has already been done somewhere else...Kinda like everybody did the same thing anyway...

However, I wish you well in everything you do and aspire... and if you speak up for your work a lil' more( not in CS, but the magazines/stylists/clients) like getting concepts your way... You'll find it beneficial in the years to come...

A name you don't need to know,

PBS

Hi Cedric.. all of a sudden the mystery unfolds.. there u are. lol . Thanks for your writing.. i'm sure this will clear alot of doubts for the fellow CS members. I think the problem with many new photographers is that they do no read or see enough of fashion photography in the first place. As what u said... many things has already been done and yet only a "few" actually know what is really going on in the world of magazines and books. Sadly.. we are really short of people making new waves and photographers with strong-enough individual style to open up dimention in the singapore magzines scene.. The stronger fellas are not based here.. and the new voices are not strong enough even to prove themselves worthier than many of our early predecesors who is still warming up their seats.

Yes i agree with the fact that my success to making better picture is also attributed by the very fact that I worked with Eddie Halim.. He is really one kind of a stylist who really mean business and won't hesitate to make sure that he give u a hard time if u don't perfom up to what is expected of you. And i am truly thankful for it and feel it's really my blessing to have worked with him for so many occassions. Like in any collaboration project, it's really about team work and taking 2 hands to clap. He definately brought my photography to another level.

As for looking like chuando.. as u implied, a sensitive issue. I don't think my work is like his.. Though i agree the fact that many people do think that my work is similiar to him. I can't control what people think.. but if u look hard enough u will find a chuando in in every part of the world.. especially in the US and Europe market. The thing here is that as u said earlier that many things have already been done.. yet our eyes are myopic. we only see what is done in singapore.. So no matter how one progress, people will only take reference point to what they know. Likewise inevitably I will definately be compared to with chuando in terms of the digital retouching, edginess composition, polish styling etc..

I do have my utmost respect to Chuando as a friend, and one who is setting high standards for singapore publication in terms of fashion photography. And only being in the fashion industry for 3 years.. i still have alot to learn and strive. Back to your statement of my personal style.. i think I have already found a set my personal working style and the pictorial quality have indeed my personal voice though i can't force everyone to see it. Let time do the talking and me carry on working on it..

yeah, it's tough even trying to carve out a niche... It's hard to established... I don't really mean to say your work is looking like Chuando..perhaps he's started out much much earlier than even you and I... so it's kinda like the moment I flipped a magazine and see something polished and raw at the same time.. I would have made a wild guess and it's Chuando... true enough, I usually guess it right... It's so tough becase somebody earlier set a benchmark.. To break it is seemingly difficult... A set of great images usually comes with great outfits, ggreat team, and good locations or sets... The underlying factor here could be the budget... your stuff are great, commercial value of your images kick asses.... even if I did mention it's kinda looking like chuando's, I never meant it in a bad way....

Fashion was never a 'need' no matter how I look at it, it is a 'want'... creative images forces that 'want' into a 'need' to own these FMCGs.. so there's always a good market for having that extra eye to see what the market needs...

It's kinda painful to get paid the editorial way I must say.. but it's a sure pay-off in the long run... but I don't think I'm gonna wait that long...maybe I'm getting older, but my priorities have changed since...

Looking at these images does make me feel like I've missed out a bit, or rather didn't explore the bit you're kinda doing, but I thought tend to throw my images to the heart of the all, the emotions which people generate... It's true we're all different, but it's always good to know there's never a best photographer award...styles changes...

So Skye, a positive note is that I've seen many created images for our local guys... and your images looks like a seasoned shooter... It's really hard for me to give positive comments sometimes... perhaps we're all photographers, and no matter how we look at other's images... There's always something to correct...

I do think the technical skills are with you, something I do hope you change...that's to make your images more timeless... I feel that your images are kinda in season now, but I do see em dying once the trend is out... Not your pictures I say again, but the trend of it all...

If there's something I would hope for, I hope you get out there and make it bigger than what already have...

Cheers....

PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.