Random Bird At Punggol Waterway

This is a bird i found at punggol waterway.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80514018@N02/7380087732/in/photostream

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

The picture is quite clear, but I would like to know if my exposure was too long.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope to achieve a picture that depicts motion but is also reasonably clear at the same time.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Taken around 6pm. Taken with 55-300mm Nikon DX at f/5.6, 1/60sec, 300mm and ISO 400

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally I feel the picture is clear. But hope to have a sharper image.

Thanks all for the comments. Appreciate.

Last edited:
helping to attach the picture:

7380087732_8fe60e1861_b.jpg

I think the branches/lines help to bring attention to the bird, an the bird contrasts against the greens

however the focus looks a bit off, seems like the leaves behind it are more in focus
picture looks a bit underexposed
the background is also quite busy, and the sky colour does not contrast well with the bird

you might want to elaborate on 'The picture is quite clear, but I would like to know if my exposure was too long' and 'I hope to achieve a picture that depicts motion but is also reasonably clear at the same time', so that expert bird-shooters here can help you better ;)

For the second statement I'm guessing you're trying some sort of panning shot. However the bird seems like it was stationary on the branch, so guess you have to wait till it's in flight before trying again?

Thanks for sharing =)

This pic failed big time.

It is TOTALLY OUT OF FOCUS on the bird.

using 300mm at 1/60secs ? this setting for sure gonna cause blur image from handshake. ( your shutter speed should be above 1/300secs to prevent handshake blur)

Overall the picture is very very badly taken and NOT clear at all (common sense people can see) and i dunno what make u say that the picture is clear

Sorry for being criticism of your pic, before u posted here for CC at least ask yourself, is the picture presentable, i would have deleted this picture straight away after viewing from my camera LCD. u can't possible to post very blur image to ask people for CC when u yourself has failed to acknowledged that this is totally a blur and out of focus picture

maybe you can try a tighter crop for this photo? AF focus is very out of place(you did notice that)(focus on the eyes?) try taking multi shots @ once and pick the best..

but the grass seems to steal the limelight away..(try a diff angle?)

Remember to use continuous focusing....

You just starting this hobby ? The picture :thumbsd: big time

What I would do is buy a fake toy bird (same size) and try shooting it first - then try on the real thing :bsmilie:

the focus is really not there. and the background is not good enough to make the bird stands out. try harder!