RAM and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
Dear all,

Windows recommends at least 2GB of RAM to run Vista smoothly. However, all the computer manufacturers now only offer 512mb of RAM or 1GB of RAM at most for their setups.

Am I missing something here. If they preload Vista with only 512mb of RAM, then does it mean Vista will not run as smoothly?

Thanks!

Dear all,

Windows recommends at least 2GB of RAM to run Vista smoothly. However, all the computer manufacturers now only offer 512mb of RAM or 1GB of RAM at most for their setups.

Am I missing something here. If they preload Vista with only 512mb of RAM, then does it mean Vista will not run as smoothly?

Thanks!

think price for RAM fall over the last weekend...

For any MS OS, they will have a minimum, recommended and optimum RAM requirement.
Most PC maker will provide the minimum RAM configuration and earn more from the add-on RAM.
In most case, recommended requirement for RAM in double of minimum and optimum is double or recommended.

You can put in your own 3rd-party RAM. Just remember to remove it to confirm any problem before you call their service centre.

For any MS OS, they will have a minimum, recommended and optimum RAM requirement.
Most PC maker will provide the minimum RAM configuration and earn more from the add-on RAM.
In most case, recommended requirement for RAM in double of minimum and optimum is double or recommended.

if 2GB is the recommended, then the optimum is 3GB?:bigeyes:

actually i think 512mb or 1gb is recommanded to run... 2gb is enough for normal usage...
and yes i think price ram will drop by about 20% over this quarter... (10+% from retail, 20% if from manu setup upgrade) according to a IT source

Comparison:

Running WinXP with 512MB RAM = Running WinVista with 1024MB RAM
Running WinXP with 1024MB RAM = Running WinVista with 2048MB RAM
Running WinXP with 2048MB RAM = Running WinVista with 4096MB RAM

:bigeyes:

Comparison:

Running WinXP with 512MB RAM = Running WinVista with 1024MB RAM
Running WinXP with 1024MB RAM = Running WinVista with 2048MB RAM
Running WinXP with 2048MB RAM = Running WinVista with 4096MB RAM

:bigeyes:

Windows is getting more and more powerful and that's why need more RAM :thumbsup:

remmeber last time MS-DOS need only 4MB RAM right? :cool:

Windows is getting more and more powerful and that's why need more RAM :thumbsup:

remmeber last time MS-DOS need only 4MB RAM right? :cool:

I remember Bill Gates once said, "128K was enuf"

but Vista takes 5 years to build u know? :devil:

5 years of effort, sure very powerful one. looked at the pyramid, great wall, take many years to build and are powerful :thumbsup:

but Vista takes 5 years to build u know? :devil:

5 years of effort, sure very powerful one. looked at the pyramid, great wall, take many years to build and are powerful :thumbsup:

5 yrs sure accumulate alot of bugs.

yes...as i mentioned in another thread, 2gb is the amount for ur vista to run smoothly with all the aero crap.... take note, this 2gb amount is JUST for vista.

If u add in photoshop, anti virus, firewalls, x-fi sound, and all the mumbo jumbo background applications etc, 4gb is the recommended amount.

like that ...look like times spend $$$ for upgrade lio...am still using 6yrs olds AMD althon..:cry:

:devil: time to BBB... ram price is dropping this quarter. ;p

like that ...look like times spend $$$ for upgrade lio...am still using 6yrs olds AMD althon..:cry:

when the windows xp came out, 256mb ram was the bare minimum needed to run xp, and at that time a lot ppl are still on windows 98 and 256mb was their max amount and many ppl thought 256mb is enough... but windows xp broke the 256mb barrier.

Similarly, this windows vista is out to break new barriers again. Purpose? maybe...y so? one highly possible guess is the hardware and memory ppl collaborate with msft to create more graphics intensive os so as to drive the demand for ram and new computer upwards.

No doubt, during the initial phase of windows xp, a lot ppl never upgrade, thinking that its unnecessary. but yet soon in 1-2 yrs time, a lot ppl bought new computer to play with xp, becos they realise they need the benefits of xp.

Same case now, we are still frogs deep in the well that cant see the advantage of vista yet. But soon enough, we will know it and before u know it, all ur surrounding friends are on vista. yes, ppl may argue vista is just a big eye candy, but wait, think of xp again, ppl also said xp interface is fancier and no good, but by now, almost all computers are xp.

To sum things up: WE ARE DEAD MEAT. OUR MONEY WILL BE SUCCKED DRY BY THIS TECHNOLOGIES #@%$%^%# WHO NEVER FAIL TO THINK OF WAYS TO SUCCK US DRY !

I am sure a lot of non-vista users dunno about this yet
And btw msft do have a short term solution for ur ram problem. U can plug in a 2gb thumbdrive and assign 1gb of the thumbdrive to function as ram. In this way u can artificially boost ur ram. ram is flash based, which is faster than harddisk (although its slower than physical ram), so in a sense for the poor brokes --> u can buy bigger thumbdrives to boost ur memory

disclaimer: i m one of the poor brokes.... windows xp came out for 3 years before i started using it :p

To sum things up: WE ARE DEAD MEAT. OUR MONEY WILL BE SUCCKED DRY BY THIS TECHNOLOGIES #@%$%^%# WHO NEVER FAIL TO THINK OF WAYS TO SUCCK US DRY !

u r damn right!!!!

aiya, i so used to slow com when see photo with my 512mb n althon 1.4G..as long as i dun see my fren com...and am still in the well..hack care...

Status
Not open for further replies.