Rally speech - your impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
what are your impressions of the rally speech? contents? slides and graphics? jokes and humours? pls steer clear of politics.

A lot of idealistic ideas, possible, but never possible. Practical but only theory. :)

i was unmoved by it. some humours seemed to get no response from the audience.

hrm. idealistic?idealistic in an economic way. hearing this speech made me feel like being singaporean means being part of a business, and the way to gauge how good singapore is is by building more infrastructure and being better than other countries.

The graphics definitely looked better than the chart the other PM Lee used in 1984.

reachme2003 said:
i am unmoved by it. some humours seemed to get no response from the audience.

Tend to agree a little. A more superficial speech compared to the more heart wrenching ones heard before.

Anyway, whatever it is. Wait for the new Marina Bay area to be ready and organise photo shoot there lah. :bsmilie:

maybe can even try to jog around the 3 sectors joined by bridges. :think: :sweat:

to be fair, there were 21 years between them.

AReality said:
The graphics definitely looked better than the chart the other PM Lee used in 1984.

looked like the emphasis was on building more infrastructure. but without the software, like good service attitude and training, it will be tough. money can be spent on hardware, but how to change the attitude of the auntie at the cha kway teow's stall?

mattlock said:
hrm. idealistic?idealistic in an economic way. hearing this speech made me feel like being singaporean means being part of a business, and the way to gauge how good singapore is is by building more infrastructure and being better than other countries.

reachme2003 said:
to be fair, there were 21 years between them.
No lah...
That short instance, it reminded me of my pri-sch days. Charts with 1-metre wooden ruler.

As always,more good years..... :confused: :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:
looked like the emphasis was on building more infrastructure. but without the software, like good service attitude and training, it will be tough. money can be spent on hardware, but how to change the attitude of the auntie at the cha kway teow's stall?
If the service in a food court is as good as a restaurant, then I think all restaurants can close down already, no business.

Take it as a no-frills, cheap solution, just like budget airline.

Here, at least they clear the table for you. In Europe, u clear yourself.

reachme2003 said:
what are your impressions of the rally speech?

Somewhat incoherent. During long stretches, it seemed more like "he" was reading someone else's speech (which wouldn't surprise me if it was true).

contents? slides and graphics? jokes and humours? pls steer clear of politics.

The nonpolitical contents were naturally generalities. The humorous parts looked very artificial; probably something "his" image consultants prescribed. "He" himself looked a bit embarrassed at times to have to go through this.

at a restaurant, it is $++. at budget hawker centre, it is budget service like auntie's. remember, there was a queue.

AReality said:
If the service in a food court is as good as a restaurant, then I think all restaurants can close down already, no business.

Take it as a no-frills, cheap solution, just like budget airline.

But I think his jokes are better than GCT's.
The latter's jokes are usually stale & cold.

AReality said:

well, thats the difference ... in europe .. even at Mac, they have cleaners, but people clear their own trays etc ... over here? .. finish liao just leave the mess .. after all it's the cleaner's job ... gosh ... even got people use the left-over sauce, fries, ice cream etc etc to make 'food-art' on the tables :sweat:

i did not get the same impact as when i watched goh's speech. at least, it appeared sincere to me from goh's.

LittleWolf said:
The nonpolitical contents were naturally generalities. The humorous parts looked very artificial; probably something "his" image consultants prescribed. "He" himself looked a bit embarrassed at times to have to go through this.

i beg to differ. gct was stale and cold but his was artificial(for lack of a better description). he tried too hard, it showed.

AReality said:
But I think his jokes are better than GCT's.
The latter's jokes are usually stale & cold.

well, let's hope that Singapore in 10 to 15 years time, would be exactly the vision dat His Majesty had described. :)

Its always a good thing to hope. :)

If I wanted to hear jokes I'll go listen to moses lim and jack neo
in the meantime, another bunch of "make singapore vibrant!" through campaigns,infrastructure, and prescribing people preset ways of becoming "better"
sheesh.
seems like an oxymoron

and really, lots of generalities. I've been overseas for various periods and frankly it's not like our service is THAT bad. at least I feel like they're being honest, a lot of waiters overseas will smile in front of you to get their tips and turn around and bitch with their colleagues. at least with my chin chow seller I know he's being honest.

dubai, new york, even vietnam?! etc etc etc
why can't we learn to find out our own singapore style instead of having to keep looking to other countries and trying to match them.

Status
Not open for further replies.