Rally speech - your impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
reachme2003 said:
i did not get the same impact as when i watched goh's speech. at least, it appeared sincere to me from goh's.

To be fair, I think the current PM is in a difficult situation: he needs to sharpen his own profile to distinguish himself from his daddy, but at the same time cannot stray far from the party line and daddy's old friends which still dominate the government. And then there's filial piety, especially with daddy sitting in the audience -- not the best circumstances to be at ease and give a sovereign, visionary speech.

Contrary to what most have commented here, personally I think how PM Lee has presented the rally speech suited his purpose - giving the nation a glimpse of how the Singapore will be in the future. Dreaming a Singapore dream. Of course it must be rousing and engaging! Adding humor and media helps keep the audience engaged, presenting a more personal and approachable image.

Not that I've watch enough ND Rallys in my life to compare and contrast (actually this is the only one so far I've caught from start to finish), but he appeared sincere enough to me. I'm more interested in the contents of his speech though, but alas, I think it's better to leave my opinions of such outside this forum.

Anyway, +1 in case this thread gets locked.

Just very curious so OT abit.:sweat:
this +1 thing in the thread? :dunno:
wat does it mean?:dunno:
Can someone explain so new comer can also use in the right time.:lovegrin:

Actually, I was hoping for a 4-day week.
He did a 5-day week "stunt" last yr, was hoping for better. :embrass:

AReality said:

Like what I like to say to my friends, I have three letters for you...

W.L.L. :bsmilie:

more sugercane juice from Us ....... till we are 65 ...

mattlock said:
hrm. idealistic?idealistic in an economic way. hearing this speech made me feel like being singaporean means being part of a business..........

We all are working for the 'family' business, don't you know? :bsmilie:

Expiredyoghurt said:
well, thats the difference ... in europe .. even at Mac, they have cleaners, but people clear their own trays etc ... over here? .. finish liao just leave the mess .. after all it's the cleaner's job ... gosh ... even got people use the left-over sauce, fries, ice cream etc etc to make 'food-art' on the tables :sweat:

Actually I applaud people who leave their trays and make a mess at fast food outlets here.

Let's be serious, the food quality is generally crap, portions are forever getting smaller, service is so so (sometimes I wonder why they even bother calling it 'fast' food when they can take like forever to do me a Whopper or Big Mac), and burger meals are simply not cheap, RELATIVELY speaking......... (overseas, a burger may be considered relatively cheap food in many countries - I am fairly well traveled)

Here, I go to the hawker center or food court, eat nice and yummy food for not too much money, and hey, what do you know, I don't have to clear the friggin trays myself.

Be socially conscious: Leave your trays out and make as much of a mess as possible at fast food joints. Whilst it may look like you're just bad mannered and badly brought up, in reality, you'll help keep more people employed and even create more employment for the old and marginal who are usually hired to clean. If you help out too often by clearing your own trays, many people will lose badly needed jobs......... I am actually quite serious about this in case you think I am joking.

Sometimes you just need to culture-jam for a good cause.

alas freelance photographers must rank at the bottom of the scale of "useful to singapore"
I'm going to migrate to the US now.

kahheng said:
Actually I applaud people who leave their trays and make a mess at fast food outlets here.

The food is generally crap, portions are forever getting smaller, service is so so (sometimes I wonder why they even bother calling it 'fast' food when they can take like forever to do me a Whopper or Big Mac), and burger meals are simply not cheap, RELATIVELY speaking......... (overseas, a burger may be considered relatively cheap food in many countries - I am fairly well traveled)

I go to the hawker center or food court, eat nice and yummy food for not too much money, and hey, what do you know, I don't have to clear the friggin trays myself.

Be socially conscious: Leave your trays out and make as much of a mess as possible at fast food joints. Whilst it may look like you're just bad mannered, in reality, you'll help keep more people employed and even create more employment for the old and marginal who are usually hired to clean. If you help out too often by clearing your own trays, many people will lose badly needed jobs.........

HAHAHA you're actually pretty right!
overseas they don't hire cleaners
a reason why waiters are so nice also is because they aren't really paid for the work they do, they have to get all their money from tips
there's Carl's Junior but the chicken burgers are tiny... man I remember the good old days of burger king with it's bacon double cheese burger meal...gigantic.

mattlock said:
HAHAHA you're actually pretty right!
overseas they don't hire cleaners
a reason why waiters are so nice also is because they aren't really paid for the work they do, they have to get all their money from tips
there's Carl's Junior but the chicken burgers are tiny... man I remember the good old days of burger king with it's bacon double cheese burger meal...gigantic.

Well, I dunno, but waiting service is nice and not so nice depending on where you are for an assortment of reasons.

Most employees are on fix pay in Thailand for instance and yet most seem to be quite happy in serving. Singaporeans are generally more 'atas'. Like it or not, we do take our cues from our glorious leaders...... ;-)

In Sydney where I go quite frequently, waiting tables is not seen as a ultra menial employment and a lot of people serve well simply because they themselves like to be served well when they go out and eat or drink. Yes, tips are important too, but it's a bit more than that.

In New York, I have experienced situations where the service is fux and yet the goddamn waiter expects the standard 15%.

kahheng said:
Be socially conscious: Leave your trays out and make as much of a mess as possible at fast food joints. Whilst it may look like you're just bad mannered and badly brought up, in reality, you'll help keep more people employed and even create more employment for the old and marginal who are usually hired to clean. If you help out too often by clearing your own trays, many people will lose badly needed jobs......... I am actually quite serious about this in case you think I am joking.

Sometimes you just need to culture-jam for a good cause.

kahheng said:

:thumbsd:

u think u r being great cos ur actions create more jobs? Ur analogy is the same as to start war so that more weapon would be sold and increase crime so that more policeman would be employed.

Go elsewhere and create ur jobs.

Yildun said:
:thumbsd:

u think u r being great cos ur actions create more jobs? Ur analogy is the same as to start war so that more weapon would be sold and increase crime so that more policeman would be employed.

Go elsewhere and create ur jobs.

Heh, I don't think I am being great.

Your analogy not very good. Whilst it may seem to be the same, weapons kill, crime harms. Not clearing your tray doesn't.

Why don't you come back with a better analogy.....

kahheng said:
Heh, I don't think I am being great.

Your analogy not very good. Whilst it may seem to be the same, weapons kill, crime harms. Not clearing your tray doesn't.

Why don't you come back with a better analogy.....

Not clearing ur leftover food and making a mess result in environmental problems. Think in the line of cockroahes, flies, rats. No harm done, think again.

Making a mess and not clearing up leftovers in the name of creating jobs is ......

Yildun said:
Not clearing ur leftover food and making a mess result in environmental problems. Think in the line of cockroahes, flies, rats. No harm done, think again.

Making a mess and not clearing up leftovers in the name of creating jobs is ......

Read my PM to u before you reply to this post.

At McDonald's or any of the fast food chains, the speed of tray clearing is so quick that your fears of environmental calamity is likely an unrealistic one.

You too should read my reply to your PM.

It's called color psychology. Blue seems to have a mind simulating effect
snowspeeder said:
I like his new blue shirt w/ strips and the orange background.

Maybe we should wish for 4 3/4 day workweek first..haha

Anthony
AReality said:

Status
Not open for further replies.