Rain, time to head home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
Just because it's raining doesn't mean it's time to pack up.
But how many pple actually head out into heavy rain looking for shots? (newspaper photographers don't count)
Opinions?

foxtwo said:
But how many pple actually head out into heavy rain looking for shots? (newspaper photographers don't count)
Opinions?

hmmm.. i will look for shelter, probably won't head home. but i won't go into the rain to shoot because my cam cannot take it. :sweat: will stay in shelter and wait for rain to stop or just look for something interesting in the shelter or something in my view.

last few days i encountered a heavy rain at sbg when i going there for some dragonflies shots. of coz i can't let my gears get wet so i waited for an hour plus plus and finally the rain stop.. i continued my dragonflies hunt. heheeee dont wan waste my trip there. heheheeee

going for more dragonflies hunt now.. heheheheeeeee
:gbounce: :D

y0ngcheng said:
last few days i encountered a heavy rain at sbg when i going there for some dragonflies shots. of coz i can't let my gears get wet so i waited for an hour plus plus and finally the rain stop.. i continued my dragonflies hunt. heheeee dont wan waste my trip there. heheheeee

going for more dragonflies hunt now.. heheheheeeeee
:gbounce: :D

now? hehe good luck, it looks like it's gonna rain anytime soon. :D :thumbsup:

i think it's a waste to go home just becos it rains, unless stuck there for looong time and has umbrella to use, else i'll stay put.

I once went to document some old HDB flats in Tiong Bahru. Half way through, a storm brewed followed by a heavy downpour and I managed to catch some out of this world light when the setting sun met the storm and rain. So you could say I stayed on because it rained.

vonvonz said:
now? hehe good luck, it looks like it's gonna rain anytime soon. :D :thumbsup:

i think it's a waste to go home just becos it rains, unless stuck there for looong time and has umbrella to use, else i'll stay put.

siannnnnnnnnnnnnn! wanted to step out of the door.. den now rain. :complain: :faint:

My take on rainy weather: Of course if its just a light drizzle den by all means you can still choose to continue your shooting, but do protect or at least cover your equipment with plastic sheets or towel to minimise the chances of water entering sensitive parts of your equipment. However if your'e shooting in the open fields or forest, the danger is not from the rain coming down but from lighting. There's this interesting tip that I read from the papers the other day concerning lightning strikes: if you see the lightning flash, start counting off the seconds before you hear the boom. If its less than 30 seconds, its advised to seek proper shelter.

Lightning storms are quite dangerous, the most recent case involving that Chinese footballer who was killed while training by a lightning bolt. So do take care when you go out shooting, esp if you're on foot and in open, hilly terrain.

But lighting storms do provide u an opportunity to capture those spectacular bolts on film or on digital. Just be sure you're safe and dry and under proper cover first. :p

Garion said:
There's this interesting tip that I read from the papers the other day concerning lightning strikes: if you see the lightning flash, start counting off the seconds before you hear the boom. If its less than 30 seconds, its advised to seek proper shelter.

meaning to say the thunderstorm is less than 10km from where u are?

zodnm said:
meaning to say the thunderstorm is less than 10km from where u are?
Yes. I think the article also explained that even though you could be up to 5 or more kilometres away from the centre of the storm, there is still a likelihood, though reduced, of the lightning bolt hitting your area.

Garion said:
Lightning storms are quite dangerous, the most recent case involving that Chinese footballer who was killed while training by a lightning bolt. So do take care when you go out shooting, esp if you're on foot and in open, hilly terrain. :p

It sure is. I had some close encounter a few years back and whenever there is lighting right now, I will sure head for the nearest cover.

Better don't play play :nono:

i;m still tryign to come up wif an "all weather" shooting SOP. it will include wat to bring, wat to do, were to go, how long to wait..etc.

Since you're there, might as well seek some shelter, get a hot drink (if possible) and wait for the rain to stop.

That was what happened to me last Sun, while I was on the way to Fort Canning. It started to rain very heavily and we retreated to Funan Centre for breakfast. After that we went in and took these shots: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=68818

foxtwo said:
Opinions?

When I was using an F4 I used to shoot in drizzles and light rains... now, not so willing unless I got a plastic bag to put my camera in. :)

Rain shots can be nice!

kjmedora said:
When it starts to rain heavily with the big black clouds, i set up my tripod and camera on my balcony to wait for lightning... none taken so far... :(

haa...i did catch my first lightning bolt at the esplanade.....after nearly like 130 over shots.....try again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.