Railway Hygiene

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyes

Nov 15, 2003
Australia
www.aljazeera.net
I'm wondering if anyone knows what ever happens when you use the toilet in the train; and in particular, the Malaysian bound train in Singapore. The question comes to me as I often choose train rides whenever time permits and almost always will use the toilet before reaching the customs checkpoint.

A search online reveals that the trains are using a 'Hoppers Toilet' system. That explains how a person can see the railway tracks from the toilet and there's a sign urging users not to use them at the stations.

What happens is that whatever is being done in the toilet, it gets flushed onto the tracks directly. :confused:

bog_roll_on_tracks_toilet_waste.jpg
screenshot002nm.jpg

I wonder if the folks who like to hang around the tracks, sitting on it, lying down on it and even sticking their heads through the tracks knows this?

screenshot003cg.jpg

bog_roll_on_tracks_toilet_waste.jpg

Anyway, for more information on hopper toilet systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_train_toilets

I would have thought that this is is rather obvious and yet it came as a surprise? :eek:

Even in an aircraft wastewater disposal and storage system, the greywater from the galley and lavatories are dumped directly overboard through a series of heated drain masts (to prevent icing of the greywater and therefore blockage of the pipping) located around the belly of the aircraft both in the air and on the ground, whereas only blackwater is stored temporary in the holding tanks. ;)

Last edited:
How can the environmental folks allow mass disposal in such fashion... unbelievable. :bigeyes:

I guess I'll avoid the railway tracks and airplanes for a while... :eek:

That's real disgusting! :faint:

Think the train technology needs to be upgraded. Way to spread disease!

OMG I love to walk on railway tracks!!!

if wastes are dumped unto railway tracks, why would it bother you when there are hardly any people living alongside the railway tracks?

How can the environmental folks allow mass disposal in such fashion... unbelievable. :bigeyes:

I guess I'll avoid the railway tracks and airplanes for a while... :eek:

u get more junk breathing in dirty air living next to a factory area than you ever will feeling any greywater drops from a passing airplane. u wont even smell it. u wont even see it. probably mixed into the next raincloud that comes our way. hmm...

as for the train...never used one so...old.

Status
Not open for further replies.