Not open for further replies.

nuts

Jan 21, 2002
www.roving-light.com
Was travelling along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia
when we stopped at one of the beaches along the route. It looks like
rain as there were dark clouds in the sky. Just then, a group of
riders came into view, and somewhere at the back of my mind, the view
reminded me of some bandit/adventure scene :) ...

raiders.jpg

Image taken with a Canon G1, slightly cropped.

Comments & suggestions on how to improve are always welcome.
Be gentle :)

..NuTs..

Originally posted by Blitz
Er sorri but no image again :)

hm? how come leh?
what abt clicking on the link?
cos I can leh...:dunno:

..NuTs..

Originally posted by nuts

hm? how come leh?
what abt clicking on the link?
cos I can leh...:dunno:

..NuTs..

gee.. I close my netscape, use IE, and also cannot see liao :(
means geocities cannot directly link?
what I'm seeing is just my own cache copy? :(

..NuTs..

The link leads to a error page too..... :dunno:

Thanks, have moved it to another site...
hopefully no problems!

..NuTs..

Wah! Nice man! Horizon a little off though, and most unfortunately there's ghosting in the image.

Wa very nice, where did u took it? how come got horses one?

The photo really suit your topic :D

Hi nuts,

Nice picture. I think in this case I would prefer to have more of the beach then the sky, as I feel the beach will complement the riders better then the sky. I would move the horizon to the top above the 1/3 line. Also as YS mentioned, keeping the horizon level is very important. :)

Originally posted by YSLee
Wah! Nice man! Horizon a little off though, and most unfortunately there's ghosting in the image.

err, the ghosting refers to that round spot somewhere in the
clouds isit? any idea what causes that? something on my filter?

Wa very nice, where did u took it? how come got horses one?

The photo really suit your topic

think I got mention in my original post :)
it was on a beach along the Great Ocean Rd in Australia, somewhere
near Melbourne ...
and I have absolutely no idea how come got horses one :)

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ziploc
Hi nuts,

Nice picture. I think in this case I would prefer to have more of the beach then the sky, as I feel the beach will complement the riders better then the sky. I would move the horizon to the top above the 1/3 line. Also as YS mentioned, keeping the horizon level is very important. :)

actually, keeping the horizon level was the last thing on my mind
when I took the picture ;p thanks.

I felt the gloomy sky added to the atmosphere that the riders were
bandits/raiders ;)

Thanks all for the kind remarks and thanks ziploc and YSLee for
their advice!

..NuTs..

The ghosting is due to the sun shining into the lens. Use a lens hood to keep it out.

Originally posted by nuts

err, the ghosting refers to that round spot somewhere in the
clouds isit? any idea what causes that? something on my filter?

It's almost a lens flare... (I believe if you move your camera to the right a little with the sun in the frame, you're gonna get some flare) the hexagonal shape is actually the shape of your camera's iris/aperture. And yah, use a lense hood.

Hi guys. I'm new here. This picture here reminds me of what that SUPER director Steven Sp..b...g (sorry, dunno how to spell it) said during an interview. He mentioned how one of his mentors taught him to KEEP THE HORIZON OFF THE CENTER OF THE PICTURE always. I believe this applies to all sorts of pictures as the mentor was using a painting as an example to illustrate the point to Steven. I really dunno how this info will help here as I am still very new at doing this but it just came to mind.

BTW, this is a great forum with lots of friendly and helpful and people. Very glad to have found it :gbounce:

Hi Cleophas,

Welcome to the forum!

Yup keeping the horizon off the center of the composition is one of the basic "rule", as it would divide the pic into two: the sky & the sea/ground below. The normal advice is to put it at "the 3rds", either at 1/3 from the top (so as to have bigger ground area to emphasize distance), or at 1/3 from the bottom (to have larger sky area to emphasize spaciousness). Sometimes the horizon is place less then the 1/3 mark to achieve greater effect. But then, rules are meant to be broken when creativity sets in :)

Originally posted by ziploc
Hi Cleophas,

Welcome to the forum!

Yup keeping the horizon off the center of the composition is one of the basic "rule", as it would divide the pic into two: the sky & the sea/ground below. The normal advice is to put it at "the 3rds", either at 1/3 from the top (so as to have bigger ground area to emphasize distance), or at 1/3 from the bottom (to have larger sky area to emphasize spaciousness). Sometimes the horizon is place less then the 1/3 mark to achieve greater effect. But then, rules are meant to be broken when creativity sets in :)

Nebber know got such a rule. Thanks I've learn something! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.