Raffles Photoclub outing 26 Feb at THE ZOO

*Edit: Thank you lonewolf for pointing out the error in month on the title.

Greetings guys,

I had mentioned earlier about the BBC Wildlife Artist of the year awards...
Since the deadline is on 28th of February, I thought it would be a good idea to visit the singapore zoo for our next outing.

Date: 26th February, 2011
Time: 1pm-5pm

Ticket price: $20 (adult)
Those who wish to visit night safari later, total ticket price is $42

How to get there:
Address
80 Mandai Lake Road
Singapore 729826

Here are the various options available by MRT:
1. Alight at Ang Mo Kio station (NS16) and take bus service 138 from the bus interchange.
2. Alight at Choa Chu Kang station (NS4-BP1) and take bus service 927 from the bus interchange.
3. From Changi Airport station (EW29), board the train and alight at Tanah Merah station (EW4) to switch to the west-bound train to City Hall station (EW13-NS25), switch again to the north-bound train to Ang Mo Kio station (NS16) and take bus service 138 from the bus interchange.
4. From Changi Airport station (EW29), board the train and alight at Tanah Merah station (EW4) to switch to the west-bound train to Jurong East station (EW24-NS1), switch again to the north-bound train to Choa Chu Kang station (NS4-BP1) and take bus service 927 from the bus interchange.

If you are coming by bus,
From the City, take bus service 171 to Mandai Road. Alight at the first bus stop after the bus turns off Exit 7 of the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE). Transfer to bus service 927 or 926 (Do note that 926 only operates on Sundays and public holidays).

Goal: To take at least 8 unique photos worthy of the awards.

I'd suggest you look at last year's winning entries here for inspiration:
http://www.discoverwildlife.com/gallery/wildlife-artist-year-2010-results-gallery

Suggested Equipment
1. A macro lens, preferably 90mm and above.
2. Polarizing filter, to minimize pesky reflections through glass in some cases.
3. A zoom lens, very crucial to capture tiger photographs.
4. Tripod optional. I have only found use for it while photographing the snakes(in HDR)
5. Bottle of water, to stay hydrated. It gets very hot at the zoo and it would be a shame to lose an amazing photo moment because you were thirsty and running around trying to find water.

Also, please do not be late.
The white tiger feeding sessions start at 2.20pm. I assure you, by 1.30 you won't have any place to stand near that area, so come early and reserve your place if you wish to take a good capture.

I will explain details about the type of photographs we will be focusing on when we meet up.
Even though you can submit 8 random animal photographs, it would look much more appealing if you have a specific theme in mind.
Certain examples would be to focus on one animal and record their behavior, or a predator/prey theme, wild cats as a theme etc.

For those who wish to come early in the morning, you can give me a call on my cellphone. I'll be hanging around the area from 10.00am. Note. The outing will officially begin at 1.00pm

If you are joining us please R.S.V.P via the list below or on the facebook group here : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120270747985835

Thank you for your time.

Hershey Desai.
Director, Raffles Photo Club.

---------------
1.canonmono (Hp: 93676029)
2. jenfaith ( 91800081 )

Last edited:
Too far to travel to the Zoo from my place cos I'm staying at Telok Blangah.

people climb mountains,spend days in jungles, travel to the most remote locations...just to get the perfect capture.
Compared to that, taking photos at the zoo shouldn't seem too far. Its not like I'm organizing a wildlife trip to Africa :p

Singapore has a good transport system. If you are passionate enough to capture photos, few minutes traveling would be tolerable :)

ya i agree with that and btw first time doing wildlife ( if u consider macro as one ) anything to take note of? no place is too far or dangerous for a photographer, that my motto throughout my shoots ..

ya i agree with that and btw first time doing wildlife ( if u consider macro as one ) anything to take note of? no place is too far or dangerous for a photographer, that my motto throughout my shoots ..
not really,
just take a look at last year's winning photos to get a rough idea of what we are trying to achieve.
You can have a look here too...there are 4-5 good shots there. : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=153832&id=576691007

The key will be trying to capture a photo in a way that it appears like it was taken in its natural environment instead of the zoo.