Radioactive Takumar ?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebianos

Aug 23, 2005
Central Singapore
Do you think the takumar 55/1.8 is radioactive? Can always sell me yours... hehehehe

[VID]oL3D7FQTHXo[/VID]

Radioactive Taks

Last edited:
Do you think the takumar 55/1.8 is radioactive? Can always sell me yours... hehehehe

The unit fo radiation leaks is measure in µSV.
I have SMC Takumar lenses and can use my office radiation meter to confirm.
Update the findings next week.

I don't know about my 55/1.8, but my SMC Tak 35/2 is suffering from yellowing, which apparently is caused by the radioactive elements...

The unit fo radiation leaks is measure in µSV.
I have SMC Takumar lenses and can use my office radiation meter to confirm.
Update the findings next week.

Yes, Ben. Could you do that please... and if you have russian lenses to test those, also. Reason is i'm about to get into russian lenses but if they are too radioactive, i might chicken out. :bsmilie: Thanks very very much for all the trouble.

Don't think the radiation is high enough to be lethal though... not much cause to be paranoid, really. ;)

Last edited:
Apparently you can order uranium ore and radioactive isotopes legally in the states without a permit.

Hi 9V-Orion, not sure why anybody would want radioactive isotopes and uranium ore for. Are there any practical uses for uranium apart from making atomic bombs and creating nuclear energy?

Newuser... read from the web that you can cure the yellowing by sunlight or UV light. Worth a try, or you can enjoy the "natural" yellow filter from the thorium. ;p

The proven method to clear the yellowing is to place it under the sun, try to see it... I read this through research. years ago...let it's element shine by the sun... there are some silly sites that tell to to smash it with hammer ...

http://pentaxphotogallery/chiananchern

http://flickr.com/photos/nc_chia

Last edited:
Hi 9V-Orion, not sure why anybody would want radioactive isotopes and uranium ore for. Are there any practical uses for uranium apart from making atomic bombs and creating nuclear energy?

Newuser... read from the web that you can cure the yellowing by sunlight or UV light. Worth a try, or you can enjoy the "natural" yellow filter from the thorium. ;p
Well for one, educational institutions requires a radioactive source for physics experiments and calibration of particle detectors, not to mention people who just love collecting "exotic specimens" such as this for no particular reason.

I wonder if they can be shipped to Singapore though?

Last edited:

it may be radioactive but bokeh is :bigeyes:
:bsmilie:

Jauntiest???

9V Orion-images, thanks for the reply. Never thought of uranium being used for educational, calibrating purposes.

But I like your collecting "exotic specimen" for no reason. Last I've checked, all the uranium ore are sold out.

Can try, but i'll stick to radioactive takumars for now. The radioactive rear lens element is really good - low dispersion, and low chroma. ;)

Daikoku, i'm still looking for those elusive taks.... :bsmilie:

Ben, what's Jauntiest??? Me catch no ball... paiseh :S

I have one of those 1:1.8/55 Lenses. Now I know why my hair is falling out.

Well... it's a good thing you didn't turn into the Incredible Hulk from all the gamma radiation. But not only taks but also from Yashica-Yashinon lenses too. Like those found in the Yashica rangefinders. ;)

Well... it's a good thing you didn't turn into the Incredible Hulk from all the gamma radiation. But not only taks but also from Yashica-Yashinon lenses too. Like those found in the Yashica rangefinders. ;)

Well I am in real trouble then. If the Yashica RF lenses are the same.......

Well I am in real trouble then. If the Yashica RF lenses are the same.......

Oh doh! They are pretty much the same because of the thorium in the rear element. The front element is non-radioactive but the closest element to the film/sensor is.

The good thing about this is... the worst effect from this radiation is film haze if it's left inside for too long.

No worries, man. Just enjoy them, life's too short and there are too many unknown radiation in the air now... so perhaps, ignorance is bliss. :bsmilie: That's the main reason why I don't want to research on the existing radiation in the environment now. Might get all paranoid and fearful :sweat:

No worries, man. Just enjoy them, life's too short and there are too many unknown radiation in the air now... so perhaps, ignorance is bliss. :bsmilie: That's the main reason why I don't want to research on the existing radiation in the environment now. Might get all paranoid and fearful :sweat:

Ya, when we fly in an airplane, we are already expose to radiation.:bsmilie:

Here the results after scanning with Radiation Alert Inspector device.

1) SMC Takumar 55mm/1.8 = 55µSV/hr
2) SMC A50mm/1.4 = 0.3µSV/hr
3) TAIR 135mm/2.8 = 0.2µSV/hr

All readings taken at rear element.

A chest x-ray doses you with 0.06 mSv (60 uSv) so keeping your Tak close to yourself for an hour, is equivalent to one x-ray.

The annual limit is 50 mSv (US) or 20 mSv (UK) equivalent to 900 chest x-rays (or 360 under UK regulations) or the same number of hours of kissing your Tak.

So... don't sleep with your Tak under your pillow :) and keep it away from your family jewels, the effect of radiation is much greater there.

well, is it mean that the takumar's radioactive is pretty high ?
No, you received alot more radiation dosage in an intercontinental flight, if online calculators are to be trusted you will be exposed to a total of 223.3 uSV in a flight from Changi, Singapore to Newark, New Jersey.

And I do not believed you will be exposing yourself with direct contact to the rear lens element for hours at a time. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.