radio triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricked

May 10, 2007
hi, im not sure is this the correct thread.

im wanna try playing with off camera flash. Could u guys tell me wether those cheap radio triggers is good enough or should i get at least something like skyports?

im using a d300 with a pair of sb 800 to play around with.

since you already have a D300 and two SB800, why don't you try the Nikon Creative Lighting System first, get a hand of multiple flash set up, before spend some money which may not be necessary now.

[vid]OgzmP2hflB0[/vid]

im wanna try playing with off camera flash. Could u guys tell me wether those cheap radio triggers is good enough or should i get at least something like skyports?

how about something simple like this?

http://www.jl-photo.net/products/radio-flash-trigger

The ebay triggers go under various names. Got mine on ebay from HK Supplies (2 receivers, 1 transmitter for USD33). Receiving reliability and distance was crap when I 1st tried it out, but after searching a couple of forums (esp. flickr), I changed out the batteries and everything is very satisfactory. My main problem before was that the supplied transmitter battery was for testing only and when I measured it on a multimeter the 12V 23A battery read only 8V. That solved, I can fire off the flash/s easily from one end of my living room to another room without problems. Also note that most online discussions are the older version PT-04 which uses 1 battery (problematic). The new PT-04TM uses 2 AAA for the receiver which is easier to change and more reliable. the newer transmitter also has a much longer PCB trace (close to 6") acting as the antenna, which gives longer distance. The older PT-04 transmitter had just a short of ~1" trace, which led many to modify their own antenna for that model.

I've never tried anything else for remote flash, but I'm happy with the ebay triggers I have.
Do note though that you are on Manual only when using these triggers.

one more thing to add, i'm also more keen on playing it outdoor. so i guess nikon cls wont work?

I've experienced build quality issues with the China made ones, but only on the receivers.

The hotshoe connections go haywire easily, i suppose.
The first one didn't fire.
Second one needed to be at an "optimum angle" to fire, so that my flash had its weight nicely pressed on the hotshoe. Placing the head forward meant that it wouldn't fire again. This move here deceived me into thinking the unit was 100% functional when testing at the shop.

I finally got it right on the third try, but it's now a little LOOSE again, cause i dropped it along with my flash when the wind blew and i was on an umbrella. My fault on this one, but still, it has quality issues. The flash was the one to take the direct hit.

But at around $20-$25 for each receiver it's not too much of an issue i guess.

I bought mine from Jack at Benphoto. Great guy to buy from, except i think changing the reeciver 3 times made both of us irritated with it at least a little :sweatsm:

one more thing to add, i'm also more keen on playing it outdoor. so i guess nikon cls wont work?

Nikon CLS may not work properly outdoors because it needs line of sight to work, and I've experienced that before... so getting some RF triggers would be helpful.

I've experienced build quality issues with the China made ones, but only on the receivers.

The hotshoe connections go haywire easily, i suppose.
The first one didn't fire.
Second one needed to be at an "optimum angle" to fire, so that my flash had its weight nicely pressed on the hotshoe. Placing the head forward meant that it wouldn't fire again. This move here deceived me into thinking the unit was 100% functional when testing at the shop.

I finally got it right on the third try, but it's now a little LOOSE again, cause i dropped it along with my flash when the wind blew and i was on an umbrella. My fault on this one, but still, it has quality issues. The flash was the one to take the direct hit.

But at around $20-$25 for each receiver it's not too much of an issue i guess.

I bought mine from Jack at Benphoto. Great guy to buy from, except i think changing the reeciver 3 times made both of us irritated with it at least a little :sweatsm:

These are the older PT-04 (ie. non "TM")??
Do a search on Flickr for Catus trigger or ebay trigger. You might find a solution to your problem. Most problems I read there were related to the battery or battery holder. For the latter, most ppl solved it with a modified AAA battery pack attached to the outside, seemed that the cover would touch the battery when closed, causing poor contact.

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.