Radiation from Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Fontaine

Jun 12, 2008
Jalan Poonpipi
Just got the wireless N Linksys router.

Wonder if anyone sitting near the router for a few hours would get too much radiation.

The signal strength seems to be very strong. Using my notebook, I could detect the signal even 2 door away and still get 4bars out of 5bars.

Just as a precaution, I place it at least 3metres away from anyone.

Wonder if anyone sitting near the router for a few hours would get too much radiation.

Do you have a handphone? Then I wouldn't worry about the wireless router. Handphones radiate much higher power and are much closer to you...

It's radiowave.
Why are people worry about radio radiation so much?Yes,it emits radtion but what are the chances of getting cancer/dying from exposure to radio radiation.

Radiation are everywhere and we are constantly expose to it.The table in front of you,the grass outside,the plastic bag you're holding.Everything.
Anything has halflife will emit radiation and everything has.
Are you gonna lock yourself up?You are like the man who wall himself up and stay at home to avoid being hit by a car...

Last edited:
My HP bill tells me that I use something like 300mins per month. In office, I forward it to my fix line. In the car, needless to say, using earphone handsfree.

As for the router, if it is your office, you're there for like 200hr or so per month. Router has got lower level of radiation, but the exposure is for a much longer duration. :think:

My HP bill tells me that I use something like 300mins per month. In office, I forward it to my fix line. In the car, needless to say, using earphone handsfree.

Even if you're not talking, your handphone keeps communicating with the base station at a reduced duty cycle (unless you turn it off completely). Otherwise, the mobile service provider could not contact your phone for incoming calls/messages.

Dude the energy to break a carbon-carbon bond is in the UV region. Radiowaves are nowhere as energetic.

I have my router sitting on my computer table for 3 years.

I now have more facial hairs and hear distant wolf howls in my dreams. :)

Wah, ho say.

Want to shoot pics of wolf no need to go to US liao. :p

Must get more access points/routers and put them around the house...

Dude the energy to break a carbon-carbon bond is in the UV region. Radiowaves are nowhere as energetic.

Doesn't matter. A microwave oven doesn't use high photon energies, but has pretty devastating effects on biological tissue, and 50 Hz or even DC can kill.

There are safety issues with RF energy, but usually not there where people worry most. Classical example, from a post above, is a handphone in the car - the RF energy gets largely trapped in the metal chassis, increasing exposure of the driver/passengers. On top of that, the phone will increase its transmission power to stay in contact with the base from which it is shielded by the car.

Doesn't matter. A microwave oven doesn't use high photon energies, but has pretty devastating effects on biological tissue, and 50 Hz or even DC can kill.

There are safety issues with RF energy, but usually not there where people worry most. Classical example, from a post above, is a handphone in the car - the RF energy gets largely trapped in the metal chassis, increasing exposure of the driver/passengers. On top of that, the phone will increase its transmission power to stay in contact with the base from which it is shielded by the car.

Dude, what is the mechanism when microwaves damage tissue? Is this mechanism same as causing cellular mutations to cause cancer? And can radio waves do the same?

Dude, what is the mechanism when microwaves damage tissue? Is this mechanism same as causing cellular mutations to cause cancer? And can radio waves do the same?

There is not a single mechanism for mutations. RF exposure can also result in mutations. The most direct effect of RF is heating of tissue, which can knock the biochemistry out of its normal regime, which can potentially lead to mutations as well.

You guys are worrying too much..way too much.

Just got the wireless N Linksys router.

The signal strength seems to be very strong. Using my notebook, I could detect the signal even 2 door away and still get 4bars out of 5bars.

Just as a precaution, I place it at least 3metres away from anyone.

To be honest, you get more radiation from a mobile phone because you place it closer to you. Moreover, the power from a router is only a fraction of what the mobile phone can pump out.

How a microwave over works is purely based on conversion of RF energy into heat.

There is not a single mechanism for mutations. RF exposure can also result in mutations. The most direct effect of RF is heating of tissue, which can knock the biochemistry out of its normal regime, which can potentially lead to mutations as well.

Potentially, taking a hot shower, drinking hot tea/coffee, sitting under the sun has greater heating effects than from mobile phone use. ;p At least we know that RF is not ionising like UV and anything with wavelengths shorter than that.

Last edited:

No it's not. Microwave oven works on the principle that the radio energy is lost as heat through absorption by the water molecules because of it's dielectric resonance property at 2.4GHz. Together with the high power 600W, it basically heats based on the sheer amount of power put in. Unlike UV, X-ray, gamma-rays, microwave does not have enough ionising energy. The wavelengths are longer than IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.