Rabbit Owner out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

w.s.y

Nov 14, 2005
Hi all...

Well I'm considering getting a rabbit myself, however i dun really have any experience taking care of them. Can anyone tell me what to expect when getting a rabbit as a pet? :dunno:

I have a cashmere mini lop (Barney) and love him to bits.

Not sure about the other breeds, but Barney is a bit of a cross between a dog and a cat in terms of temperament. You don't need to toilet train them as they will pick a spot and you just have to get some kitty litter if you like and place in that spot. You don't need to bathe them and in fact they loathe it.

Carrots and commercial dried mix is a bit of a misconception. They eat a variety of vegetables and should eat them rather than be restricted to the former 2.

We let Barney have a free roam around the house and his antics entertain us to no ends. I'm sure your future bunny will do the same too ;-)

Matt

:lovegrin:
looking for me???

feed your bunny with enough food and supply enough water.

Dun put your bunny under trauma/stress. And NEVER leave it alone unattended. Bunnies are known to starve itself to death if left unattended or under extreme trauma.

My friend's bunny 'commited suicide' by starving itself when he brought it to a new environment, and he left it unattended over the weekend even though he provided it with enough water and food. :cry:

truma or stress??? define??? How often do u clean up its area?

I've got 2 mini-lops for the past 4 years already. Initially had 4 rabbits, but 2 of them died.

Rabbits are actually very delicate animals. They like routines, and familiar environments. If the environment is foreign, they can be traumatised and die.

But once they are used to the place, they are quite easy to take care of. You just need to give them space to run, a litterbox for them to pee/poop, sufficient water, hay, fresh vegetables, and pellets. Avoid stuff like carrots or those commercial treats. carrots and treats are high in sugar content and the rabbits get a sugar high.

chrs
Jinny

err...dun mind me...

dun get a pet for the sake of getting a pet...they have feelings too...

another question is, what do u guys do when u guys are out over the weekend or overseas? and no one is at home? how do u guys handle it??

Hi all...

Well I'm considering getting a rabbit myself, however i dun really have any experience taking care of them. Can anyone tell me what to expect when getting a rabbit as a pet? :dunno:

Rabbit? if you do not stay in terrace house, please... don't.
Maybe you can try hamster instead, if you are staying in HDB or condo.

i have a 15-mth mini lop and an almost 2-mth baby holland lop and being lops, they are firstly stubborn, secondly stubborn and thirdly....

diet-wise, it's important that they get a constant supply of hay as hay helps to remove harmful bacteria ('flora') in their digestive system and keep them healthy. A built up of 'flora' can create gas which will kill them. I have lost a couple of baby bunnies these way when they refuse to eat especially when you first get them home - due to stress and trauma.

The 1st 2 weeks when you get a baby bunny home is the most crucial. Do all you can to help the bunny settle in - don't handle them more than you should, keep them warm, provide fresh water (even if they are not drinking), put them away from direct sun / noise etc.

Once they stabilise, they will eat, poop and pee like nobody's business and then you can start toilet training them. My 2 bunnies are toilet trained and will only poo / pee in their poo pans. Intelligent pets, actually.

Bunnies are also affectionate although some breeds are more independent than others like angoras.

I also learnt that neutering a female rabbit causes hormones imbalance and constant molting which is irritating coz the fur just fall off all the time (and it's not even balding). Side effect which the vet didnt tell us about..

The rabbit eat alot, s hit alot & breed alot too.
Now i don't keep them anymore, the picture are some of the memories.
Babies.jpg

be prepare to spend time to do cleanup.

Image_20_1.jpg

hahaha! Yes, they eat a lot and poo a lot.. they even poo while they eat...

LOTSA CLEANING UP!

another question is, what do u guys do when u guys are out over the weekend or overseas? and no one is at home? how do u guys handle it??

There are rabbit-sitters. =) Essentially, people who are wiling to take care of your rabbits for a nominal fee.

Chrs
Jinny

There are rabbit-sitters. =) Essentially, people who are wiling to take care of your rabbits for a nominal fee.

Chrs
Jinny

there are those who will take care of them for free ... just have to watch out and make sure they aren't too enthu and actually know how to take care of them ...

there are those who will take care of them for free ... just have to watch out and make sure they aren't too enthu and actually know how to take care of them ...

One can approach the House Rabbit Society of Singapore (i think that's the correct name of the voluntary organisation) for assistance in linking you up with 'foster' parents who are ok with looking after your rabbits on short term basis...

i jus send my dutch to my friend's house =)
rabbits are adorable but they need space.
if u have a dog at home like i do (or any other pets which are free-roaming)
take some time for them both to get used to each other
or else the stress will kill the rabbit
otherwise, my charlie pretty much is happy. I think =)

I was also thinking of getting a rabbit as a pet late last year but my mom won't allow me... furthermore, the netherland drawf tat i like is too expensive i find...

I was also thinking of getting a rabbit as a pet late last year but my mom won't allow me... furthermore, the netherland drawf tat i like is too expensive i find...

netherlands dwarf rabbits are known to have a very bad temper...

Status
Not open for further replies.