"Rabbit ears" on AIS lens removable?

Acolyte

Dec 8, 2009
Hi all, as per thread title, I'm wondering if the metal prong "rabbit ears" on AiS lenses are removable? Cos its held only by 2 screws, wondering if can jus unscrew and screw it back on whenever i want it.

Reason why i'm doing so is because I'm using the lens on a digital body, and i find the "ears" abit scary poke here poke there when not mounted, scared later keep together with other stuff in the bag may cause scratches. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, as per thread title, I'm wondering if the metal prong "rabbit ears" on AiS lenses are removable? Cos its held only by 2 screws, wondering if can jus unscrew and screw it back on whenever i want it.

Reason why i'm doing so is because I'm using the lens on a digital body, and i find the "ears" abit scary poke here poke there when not mounted, scared later keep together with other stuff in the bag may cause scratches. :confused:

Thanks in advance.
if it's just 2 screws, should be removable :)
but be careful to mark properly, so you can put it back EXACTLY as you removed it.
also, be careful not to scratch the rear glass element if your hands slip ...

I like the rabbit ears, kept it there cos it didn't get into my way.

I was dissappointed when the new AIS lens did not contain the rabbit ears. The rabbit years give you the chance of mounting it on and old Vietnam war Nikon F2 camera.

50588630_463175fa81.jpg

Hi thanks ZerocoolAstra for the infomation. :)

@ papajanggo33 and Benji77:

Yup i know those "ears" are kind of a hallmark of Nikkor manual lenses. But I'm frequently using it on my d300 and when i carry the said lens unmounted (28/2.8 Ais) with other lenses in my camera bag, i would sometimes feel the dread that the pointy end would scratch other lenses/cam body in the same bag. Its just an "in case" thing for me. (my 180/2.8 diden come with its "ears" when i bought it, and thus pose no threat :bsmilie:). But will be screwing it back on when i'm reselling so i'm sorry papajanggo33, not giving away for the time being. :D

@tankahn:

Don think i'll be able/willing to acquire such bodies leh. Shoot film very ex compared to digital. =X (sorry to film shooters out there, don flame me. :sweatsm:)

Cheers

very easily removable, abit of a pain to get the screws back in cos its curved. get a good grip so you don't slip and scratch the aperture ring tho.

also, pls keep it properly. im always sad when my MF lenses come without the ears. they don't look as good without them. just to let you know, getting a shop to put on a pair of them costs $25.

Since you don't need it, take it off.
You're right, that piece could scratch the body or other lenses.

Just keep it in case you decided to sell the lens

Yup ok sure. Will try to do so by tonight. Thanks for all your replies. :)

Edit: spoilt 2 of my lousier screwdriver trying to unscrew the screws so far. ._. Build quality is really good. If really tight then I'll just leave by itself lol.

Last edited: