R U guys excited about the new Sony DSLR release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Kind of curious,

I am eagerly waiting fot the release of Sony DSLR. Anyone waiting for it too?

How much will you pay for the camera below? How much should Sony price it for it to be competitive. A point of reference is that the 8MP canon 20D is seilling for $2.2k while the 10MP (sony sensor) D200 is selling for $2.65k. Both without anti-shake and anti-dust.

anyway specs from Dpreview forum
SONY Alpha 100

10.2 million effective pixels (10 Megapixel) APS-C size CCD Sensor
•Anti-dust protection system
•Super SteadyShot in camera body (switchable)
•Dynamic Range Optimiser
•BIONZ Image Processing Engine
•Maximum sensitivity: 1600 ISO equivalent
•2.5” 230K pixel Clear Photo LCD Plus Screen with AR coating and Clear Processing for image review and function navigation

•Compatibility with Sony ?-mount system lenses, including Sony G lens and Carl Zeiss optics

•Bright Optical Viewfinder with Spherical Acute Matte screen, 20mm eye relief, 0.83x magnification, dioptre adjustment and EyeStart Autofocus.

•High-speed Autofocus with 4 focus modes: Single-shot AF; Direct Manual Focus; AF Automatic; AF Continuous

•Ultra wide AF area with 9 local focus points and central cross-hair sensor
•Centre-weighted, Spot and 40-segment honeycomb pattern metering mode
•Depth of Field preview
•Mode Dial for one-touch selection of exposure shooting modes: AUTO; Programme; Aperture Priority; Shutter Priority; Manual; plus 6 Scene Modes (Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Night View, Sunset, Sports / Action)

•White Balance adjustment: AWB and 6 preset WB modes with manual colour correction, Colour temperature manual selection with additional 19-step magenta/green compensation, Custom setting

•High Speed Continuous Advance Shooting up to 3 fps
•Burst shooting: JPEG unlimited, 6 frames RAW, 3 frames RAW+JPEG (dependent on memory card speed)

•Advanced flash modes as high synchronization speed, rear flash, wireless functions and slow synch direct button access on camera

•Ambiance and flash separate exposure compensation scales
•1600 mAh Lithium ion battery with STAMINA technology for up to 750 shots from single charge (CIPA measurement, 50% usage of built-in flash)

•Built-in Flash plus support for multiple flash modes (Wireless, Slow Synchro, Rear Synchro)

•Dimensions: 94.7 x 133.1 x 71.3 mm (L x W x D)
•Weight: 545g (without battery)
•CF media slot compatible with Type I/II (MicroDrive) media; supplied MemoryStick DUO adapter

•Supplied image editing software: (1) Image Data Converter SR Ver.1.1 (2) Picture Motion Browser

Don't hold yr breath... you'll turn blue in the face before it launches.

Anyway just wait for it to come. No point speculating when nothing's confirmed yet.... and ultimately its performance will determine whether its worth the cost. That is something we cannot ascertain as yet, so any price discussion is meaningless. ;)

Nikon!

If it dont use memory stick, still can consider.....

and if it used F mount too :)

zcwnfx said:
Nikon!

If it dont use memory stick, still can consider.....

and if it used F mount too :)

Buy Sony is liased with Carl Zeiss so definitely will be using their lenses instead.

I though Zeiss now making nikon mount lenses? I wonder when Leica will start making 4/3 mount lenses... hehe then all jump ship to the 4/3 mounts...

solarii said:
Don't hold yr breath... you'll turn blue in the face before it launches.

Anyway just wait for it to come. No point speculating when nothing's confirmed yet.... and ultimately its performance will determine whether its worth the cost. That is something we cannot ascertain as yet, so any price discussion is meaningless. ;)

ya lah. it is coming SOON. Annoucement is on 6/6/06. Then everything will be revealed.

Personally, I really liked Sony's stuff ever since I bought the MD player when it was first released. With their sensor technology and advantage + KM expertise, Sony should have enough technical know-how to give something special.

They know they are a late entrant so they have to give something REALLY good to be successful.

Let's wait till 6th of June. No point speculating. The camera may be everything we want or not. Let's hope Sony does a good job.

I will think thwice, meaning after Sony EVER made 3 models of DSLR. I beckon Sony
never will.

hmmmm..... i think success of DSLR depend on the quality of the camera, and also the lens and accesseries that u buy on top of it.

all the previews are up on dpreview.

Price is $899 for body only. That is like S$1500... compared to S$2600 for nikon D200 and $2200 for canon 20D.

And all the new lens + some by Carl Z.

ultimately how many lens and accersories does an average user needs? The lens are cheaper and due to the built in AS (you don't need to pay for the expensive IS and VR). Furthermore I can buy a 20mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 with AS, which is non-existent on Canon and nikon system. They don't have any VR/IS lens with wide aperture.

read the preview on dpreview liao.. Its a very attractive camera.. I think alot of ppl will be jumping ship as the price is reasonable plus the built-in steadyshot and anti-dust system. Only thing left is the image test.. Seems like a Sony+Km+Olympus combo camera..:p

I think the TS needs to shoot more. From the search on the threads started, the TS has started a lot of threads on equipment but none on sharing images. Perhaps a little too tight on hands to shoot, or just prefer to talk equipment? :dunno:

wind30 said:
ya lah. it is coming SOON. Annoucement is on 6/6/06. Then everything will be revealed.

Personally, I really liked Sony's stuff ever since I bought the MD player when it was first released. With their sensor technology and advantage + KM expertise, Sony should have enough technical know-how to give something special.

They know they are a late entrant so they have to give something REALLY good to be successful.
what so special about Sony's sensors? They are just... CCDs :dunno:

wind30 said:
all the previews are up on dpreview.

Price is $899 for body only. That is like S$1500... compared to S$2600 for nikon D200 and $2200 for canon 20D.

And all the new lens + some by Carl Z.

ultimately how many lens and accersories does an average user needs? The lens are cheaper and due to the built in AS (you don't need to pay for the expensive IS and VR). Furthermore I can buy a 20mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 with AS, which is non-existent on Canon and nikon system. They don't have any VR/IS lens with wide aperture.
Like the "quoting of the best features but don't mentioned the rest" style :thumbsup:

Look at the FPS, buffer size, the magnification of the view finder, etc. More like for amateurs, given the price of the body, so if you compare it, then compare to D70s (due for upgrade) or 350D.

wind30 said:

And where is MD players now? How many here uses it verses iPod / other music player? :rolleyes:

Watcher said:
Like the "quoting of the best features but don't mentioned the rest" style :thumbsup:

Look at the FPS, buffer size, the magnification of the view finder, etc. More like for amateurs, given the price of the body, so if you compare it, then compare to D70s (due for upgrade) or 350D.
That's what he's been doing all along what... "Hear only the good stuff" :bsmilie:

I lost confident to Sony product since they abandon palmOS devices. They say no profit, and cut.....

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
I lost confident to Sony product since they abandon palmOS devices. They say no profit, and cut.....

Regards,
Arto.
Thought it was Palm refuse to sell the OS to Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.