R-Strap vs. Spider Holster

loozhengyuan

Jan 16, 2010
I'm using a single camera D90 + 18-200mm , looking for a replacement to the original straps . I came across three brands , (1) Blackrapid's R-Strap , (2) Cotton Carrier's Side Holster System and (3) The Spider Holster System . I hope to hear your opinions on the following :

1) Strap system vs. Holster system (Comfort , efficiency , etc)
2) R-Strap vs. Cotton Carrier vs. Spider Holster (Pros , cons , etc)
3) Anything that concerns the topic of discussion

P.S. I would need to screw my tripod quick release plate too . Thanks in advance ! :)

Last edited:
While you are looking, might as well take a look at cotton carrier http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
If you do a search, there are quite a few threads discussing these three.

Thanks for the suggestion , i'll add it to topic .

I wanna hear from you guys , i did a search on the net alr .

Last edited:
Having own and use the R-Strap if find the position of camera at the side of my hip is uncomfortable for walking. Keep wobbling and hitting my side while walking. Another minus I can knock my camera againt railings or walls unknowingly if placed behind. But it's quick draw to shoot is useful.

Find the Spider Pro system looks similar to the R-strap, wobbling and all, from the video.

I see that the Cotton Carrier System is best for me based on video. The placing of the camera near the chest is good for my kinda use. Can carry my camera backpack and the Cotton Carrier during trekking unlike the R-strap where I can only use one strap of my backpack if use together with the R-strap, not very comfy.

I can imagine going on a boat fishing trip with the camera strapped to my chest. Minimize accidental knocks on such tight spaces yet able to quick draw on shooting opportunities.

Anyway, where can I get the Cotton Carrier System locally?

Last edited:
Erm you can get the cotton carrier system from Cathay Photo . Im not sure it still has it .

Here's my opinion on the three:

R-STRAP
Very versatile and can draw the camera swiftly .
Knocks unknowingly and will give shoulder strains after long wearing .

SPIDER HOLSTER
Very comfortable , can put two cameras .
Knocks unknowingly , have a chance of missing the hook , pull your pants down .

COTTON CARRIER
Very sturdy for people who go hiking, etc . Will minimise knocking and stuff .
Wearing the vest is a little bit unconfortable for me .

Last edited:
With Cotton system, make sure you never trip and fall forward. Cos the damage is to camera and lens and yourself.

R-Strap tops the list for me. I almost don't find it difficult to handle at all. Only problem is I lug two cameras around and I love shooting low on the ground. When I shoot with the other cam I tend to knock my R-Strap-ed camera on the pavement.

Spider Holster's comes second. Although I haven't tried it, I like the idea of drawing the camera from the side, Wyatt-Earp-style. Also, since it's a strapless system, I can easily put my camera aside, go down low and shoot with the other without any fear of damaging my Spider Holster-ed one.

Cotton System--I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it not matter how good the reviews are.

Just my tuppence worth.

Last edited:
Currently using the R-strap, have it with me for about 2 years now, its really good for mobility, great for short walk-about trips.
The Cotton Carrier just look really silly to me.

I use the Cotton Carrier as a side holster, instead of a chest holster, and it works really well. Don't have an additional strap across my chest (in addition to camera bag/backpack).

I have been using the r strap as well.

Quick draw and Does not obstruct me while shooting. I brought it to all my trips and I have photographers coming up asking me what is the strap I am using.

The only draw back is that it is a little hassle to remove is u use a backpack.

[vid]etV02k2Rym0[/vid]

CCCS in action , sidearm not included!

Last edited: