R/C modelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Dug up a (not so) old thread Who plays R/C cars here ?, but since it's expired, I've decided to start a new one.

Just got me the Tamiya Avante Mk.ii. Yes, it's just a bodyshell, but it's kinda like a blast from the past for me. When the original Avante came out, all I could do was dream and drool about it.

85382036.jpg

My ride, in translucent orange.

85382028.jpg

DF-03 (stock) & TT-01 (customised)

More pics here.

(Got kinda lazy with the photography. I was more excited about the model than with with photography! Sony Alpha-100, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. ISO400, f/8, 1/60s. Hotshoe mounted flash, aimed at ceiling, Lightsphere clear, no dome. Tablecloth background.)

Hi dude. I'm into RC planes actually. Not really a kind of 'modelling' but hey it's R/C. Just built my first recently.

1082622013_26ccaacb2d.jpg

Newly built

1346071943_eb9ee5a1d5.jpg

At the field, numerous crashes and repairs later

Cool... I didn't know Advante was a RC kit! I played with the Advante Jr when I was a child.

Hohoho I see a DF03!!!

Check out my vids:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuG1arvtMNM
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFeaiAJnP4

My DF03 is using a 5700kV Mamba Max brushless, makes it darn fast and fun! But it already wears down the rear ball diff plates after a minute or so. -_-" Heh, it regularly entertains the neighbourhood kids.

800P3250316.jpg

800P3250314.jpg

800P3250317.jpg

My TA05 and gf's TT01
600P1270358.jpg

Anyway, for the buggy, be very careful of repeated high impact tumbles. The shock towers and even the shock tower mounts, especially the rear bulkhead can start to crack if you give it too much abuse. That happened with mine and I had to replace a pair of shock towers and the rear bulkhead (Part A1 iirc)

If you're gonna go with a more powerful motor, slipper clutch is an absolute must. As for universal shafts, the DF02 ones fit perfectly. 3Racing's hard diff outdrives (front and rear) are recommended. Basically anything that beefs up the drivetrain is good if you intend to go faster.

I had cut out intakes and vents on the Dark Impact body as the Mamba Max ESC got darn hot during runs. Probably due to the summer time weather those months ago. The front vent here

800P3260326.jpg

is directly in front of the ESC's heatsink fins. Got wire mesh to cover up the hole a bit to stop stones etc flying in.

And another vent to let the hot air out
800P3260324.jpg

In the earlier post, you'll notice a triangular vent on the top. I'm hoping that lets the heat dissipate a bit from the motor's heat sink bars.

My buggy's electronics layout:
800P4070367.jpg

800P4070368.jpg

And the damage I mentioned to be careful of...

800P3310336a.jpg

800P3310340a.jpg

And look what the Mamba did to my rear diff plates! :eek:
800P4010345.jpg

800P4010346.jpg

Heh. Hardcore man, TheoDR.

The pink TT-01 looks real sweet. Kinda fragile, isn't it? Under moderate speed crash, the front adjustable arm keeps breaking! And changing the motor and accessing the gearbox is such a pain.

I'll run my DF-03 with the standard stock parts first lah. Then slowly add bits here and there as and when time (and the wallet) allows.

I usually get my stuff from Hobby Link @ FE Plaza, but I recently found out that some of the parts and accs quite a bit more expensive than Elite Racing, ley. Is buying online good?

Hi dude. I'm into RC planes actually. Not really a kind of 'modelling' but hey it's R/C. Just built my first recently.

1082622013_26ccaacb2d.jpg

Newly built

1346071943_eb9ee5a1d5.jpg

At the field, numerous crashes and repairs later

Cool... I didn't know Advante was a RC kit! I played with the Advante Jr when I was a child.

Wah, cool. Scratch-built, ah?

My place (Woodlands Drive 16 area) has this big field that has some really people who are seriously into aero r/c. Come in a van, unload metal boxes, take out deck chair, foldable tables, etc. Quite impressive, some of these planes can really tear thru the skies.

For me, I already have trouble controlling a vehicle on two-axes. I think if add a third, my model might just kill somebody. :p

Wah, cool. Scratch-built, ah?

My place (Woodlands Drive 16 area) has this big field that has some really people who are seriously into aero r/c. Come in a van, unload metal boxes, take out deck chair, foldable tables, etc. Quite impressive, some of these planes can really tear thru the skies.

For me, I already have trouble controlling a vehicle on two-axes. I think if add a third, my model might just kill somebody. :p

Now all playing turbine jet, these engines are really fast zips thru the sky at 200mph burning kerosene or jet fuel, engine cost some S$5000++.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErGXfwMI0I Just look at the awesome takeoff, such a short distance to liftoff, the amount of power generated is crazy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFFWmOrJLhw&mode=related&search=

I am just curious how much does it cost to buy a RC car and mod it???

I am referring to those run on track ones.... not the buggy type... is there a new for that class???

Thanks.

I am referring to those run on track ones.... not the buggy type... is there a new for that class???

Thanks.

Are you refering to Mini Z? Smallest of the RC cars

Thanks.

I guess depending on scale (1/8, 1/10, 1/12) and if it's gas or electric powered. For my 1/10 scale on-road electric TT-01, the basic kit is approx $170. The upgrades could cost about three or four times the cost of the basic kit. Actually, the sky's the limit if you want everything top-of-the-range high-end.

Heh. Hardcore man, TheoDR.

The pink TT-01 looks real sweet. Kinda fragile, isn't it? Under moderate speed crash, the front adjustable arm keeps breaking! And changing the motor and accessing the gearbox is such a pain.

I'll run my DF-03 with the standard stock parts first lah. Then slowly add bits here and there as and when time (and the wallet) allows.

I usually get my stuff from Hobby Link @ FE Plaza, but I recently found out that some of the parts and accs quite a bit more expensive than Elite Racing, ley. Is buying online good?

Heya! Thanks! Hmm, ok la, gf's car still running on stock motor, so don't have to change much. As for buying online, I like to get my stuff from:

1)www.stellamodels.net
2)http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_International/International_index.htm

The 2nd link is from a japanese site, I've ordered twice with them before and was very impressed. They have staff who are able to correspond in english, so no prob there. Plus also they usually have a 10-20% discount on their items and are willing to order in spare parts for you. Shipping took less than a week to reach me in Australia.

By the way, Aussie prices are crazy! The DF03 sells for about SG$230+ in Sg right? In Aus it sells for about AU$290! *faints*

Price-wise from both online sites, even with shipping, I daresay they might be a little bit cheaper than what's offered in S'pore. With shipping to Aus, the DF03 price was SG$5 more ex than those sold in S'pore. Shipping to S'pore should be cheaper too if I'm not wrong.

Oh ya, don't put titanium screws on your buggy, they can and will snap/bend/break under hard impact, especially on high stress areas like the wing mounts. I've had them snap and break already, so switched back to the stock steel ones. They work much better! ;)

Anyone doing a MO for 7.2v batteries? I want to rekindle the interest.
Ya thinking of getting one set of batteries and make a pack myself and get a proper charger but this month spending quite a lot of money. Later my wife kill me.:p My 1/10 scale Toyota Supra long time not running, remember it clocked 90kmh++ the last time I ran it:cool:

Thanks.
S$300++ for basic model then option parts another S$300++ for modding and added performance. Then another S200 for transmitter and ESC and Servo.

Ya thinking of getting one set of batteries and make a pack myself and get a proper charger but this month spending quite a lot of money. Later my wife kill me.:p My 1/10 scale Toyota Supra long time not running, remember it clocked 90kmh++ the last time I ran it:cool:

Haha, to tempt you, I'd like to inform that Tamiya has re-released the street Supra body on the TT01D+LED light kit :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.