Qurries on Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwan

Jan 13, 2007
Hey there, Im Quite new to this and i need some form of help here. Well I dont know what is the excet name for this process but i will just describe it out.
(I saw a picture posted some ago on this forum with this editting on)

The whole picture is just Black and White Except the Main subject the photographer wants to focus on. WHich means that only the subject have the original colour on and the background is just black/grey. What is this process called? and Anybody can advice on the steps to it in PS

Thanks in advace for the inputs.

Hey there, Im Quite new to this and i need some form of help here. Well I dont know what is the excet name for this process but i will just describe it out.

The whole picture is just Black and White Except the Main subject the photographer wants to focus on. WHich means that only the subject have the original colour on and the background is just black/grey. What is this process called? and Anybody can advice on the steps to it in PS

Don't think there's a special name.

Basically there are many ways to go about it, you can duplicate layer and then desaturate one entirely (or whatever toning you want to do, if applicable) , before manually erasing the above one accordingly to reveal the one beneath, e.g. if color layer is on top then erase all the background stuff that you don't want in colour, if b&w layer on top then erase the subject to reveal the subject in colour.

Another way which is much more bumbly and less accurate is to use the magnetic lasso tool and select the subject - this only works well if your subject has very very clearly defined edges in relation to the background. After which, select --> inverse and desaturate everything else.

Go to Hue/Sat adjustment layer at the bottom of the layer palette. Slide the sat slider all the way to the left -100. Click Ok. Your image will be b/w. Click once on the mask on the Hue/Sat layer on the right to make it active. With the brush tool and the foreground is black and paint your subject that you want it to be colored. Hope it help

Thanks Once again for the information, That's fast . All info did helped. Thanks :)

Cheers:edwan

I believe the technique is referred to as "Selective Colouring". As with most things in Photoshop, there are many ways of achieving the same effect. I would probably duplicate the layer, desaurate and apply a contrast adjustment with curves before applying a layer mask to "reveal all" and then painting away the subject. A layer mask allows you more freedom to correct any mistakes rather than erasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.