Quiz: Which Nikon manual focus body...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Quiz:

Which Nikon manual focus body can take a G-lens (eg. 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 G) and allows use of apertures other than the minimum f/16 or f/22 on the G-lens when making an exposure?

First person with correct answer posted will receive a roll of Fujifilm Xtra 400. Collect next SEED.

Start cracking...

Not a single manual Nikon camera can take a G lens as the lens has no aperture ring which can engage the Ai Ring around the lens mount.

Hong Sien

Originally posted by hongsien
Not a single manual Nikon camera can take a G lens as the lens has no aperture ring which can engage the Ai Ring around the lens mount.
So AI ring is out....then how about pre-AI camera?

My guess... Nikkormat.

:)

My guess: Any of the old Manual Bodies with P or S modes like the FA. Since on these cameras, the camera set the aperture of the lens (stopped down to min aperture), it might work at least in the "S" mode.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
My guess: Any of the old Manual Bodies with P or S modes like the FA. Since on these cameras, the camera set the aperture of the lens (stopped down to min aperture), it might work at least in the "S" mode.

Regards
CK
No, you still need the aperture coupling ring to let the camera "know" what is the minimum aperture. I believe theres also another notch or indication that specifies the max aperture.

Anymore answers? Contest closes end of day Thursday (29/5).

:gbounce:

Originally posted by Darren
No, you still need the aperture coupling ring to let the camera "know" what is the minimum aperture. I believe theres also another notch or indication that specifies the max aperture.

Hmm....

The last MF camera is probably the F301 introduced in 1985. Superceded by the F501 in 1986. Dunno man.

Regards
CK

OK contest closed.

PageUp has got the correct answer (F601m) and he can pick up a roll of FujiFilm Xtra 400 from me next SEED.

Ken Rockwell verified that the FA will not work with G lens at apertures other than minimum. Anyone with an FA want to try it out and let us know?

Another possible answer is the F301. Can anyone find a F301 to verify this?

So at this point, the F601m is the only manual focus camera body that can take a G lens and operate normally under Shutter speed priority (S mode) or Program Mode (P mode). It even does matrix metering as well.

Thanks to all participants!

Status
Not open for further replies.