quick release safe? or ballhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey115

Jul 7, 2004
what do you folks think. im using a slik tripod now with its own ballhead - was thinking of a quick release until i was at sungei buloh last sunday and saw a chap with a d70, almost have it go to pieces because his quick release gave way - luckily for him, the cam strap was looped to his arm which saved the cam.

Hi,

No matter what QR is used, if the user does not attach it properly, then it will slip and drop. Try to make it a habit to always double check the QR, and ensure it is secured. One should also always double check on the ballhead tension.

mikey115 said:
what do you folks think. im using a slik tripod now with its own ballhead - was thinking of a quick release until i was at sungei buloh last sunday and saw a chap with a d70, almost have it go to pieces because his quick release gave way - luckily for him, the cam strap was looped to his arm which saved the cam.

That's probably a case of the equipment was incompatible, probably he just needed a stronger ballhead ? :)

or a better plate?... :D

been wandering also, does most expensive plates like Wimberly plates make a difference as compare to those plate tat comes with the head?

I've been using the manfrotto QR plates (square) and find that there is alot of "play" on the plates itself - resulting in frustration when doing high mag macro shots. I will be switching over to arca style plates.
BUT back to the original question, no matter what system/plates one uses, if the plate isn't mounted correctly and/or secured properly, then will surely be unpleasant moments.

RossChang said:
or a better plate?... :D

been wandering also, does most expensive plates like Wimberly plates make a difference as compare to those plate tat comes with the head?

eawtan said:
I've been using the manfrotto QR plates (square) and find that there is alot of "play" on the plates itself - resulting in frustration when doing high mag macro shots. I will be switching over to arca style plates.
BUT back to the original question, no matter what system/plates one uses, if the plate isn't mounted correctly and/or secured properly, then will surely be unpleasant moments.

ya... esp your camera have tilt feature, like the F828... i can only mount the camera's QR to the head at 1 direction, and esp the 322RC2... mine cannot hook in unless i tilt my cam body upwards. cos the head hits the body...

Arca Swiss-type plates are more secure in the sense that there's either a anti-slide pin on the clamp, or on the plate itself. It prevents the plate from completely sliding out of the clamp should you close but forget to tighten the clamp. But even with all these safety devices, accidents do happen

Status
Not open for further replies.