Quick question on night shots (with photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphy

Jun 17, 2007
I took a quick shot on a tripod and the result was not as pleasing. Photoshop did the trick of course but I'm wondering is it always necessary to PP your photos to make it decent esp at night?

Here's a comparison:

Before PP:

dsc_4615_ori.jpg

After PP:

dsc_4615.jpg

Would be good if any pros here can give me some quick pointers :)

What exactly have you done with your PP? What makes you think that #2 is really 'decent' or even better than #1?

I tweaked the brightness and control the highlights and that's about it I guess.

Background seems rather dim, and in this case if I leave it exposed for too long, fullerton would go blown =/

I tweaked the brightness and control the highlights and that's about it I guess.

Background seems rather dim, and in this case if I leave it exposed for too long, fullerton would go blown =/
try shoot around 15 mins after sunset.

But after you edit it, Fullerton goes overexposed anyway.

Your photos are great. Great shot! (I guess)

What is your camera and lens?

--
blog.pokoot.com

I think catching the right amount of light in the sunset is more important. There is a golden time period where almost anything you shoot will be very tok-gong!

Nice shot with a D80 BTW! :)

Last edited:
You'd probably need to do the post processing in a couple of layers to retain the image without being blown out in certain areas.

I think catching the right amount of light in the sunset is more important. There is a golden time period where almost anything you shoot will be very tok-gong!

Nice shot with a D80 BTW! :)
that is call "magic hour", you can find it in Bryan Peter's books.

it seems underexposed... not too sure.
keep the waterfront stage out of the picture next time i guess.... since their light is much more powerful.

here's one with the magic light of the same place. dont have a tripod no nice shimmering water... hahahha but i guess it works as an example:
28uidsm.jpg

(pictures always seem less saturated after i uploaded them...)

I think the 2ns shot is a bit overly done in PP already. a bit unnatural.

juz my 2 cents.

speck of dirt spotted behind the U building and a little right.. ;) (TS's pic)

the PP makes the photo worse, coz it results in that ugly dust spot being visible!
2nd photo is too over-exposed for me. I actually prefer the 1st one.

Status
Not open for further replies.