Quick quality loss question

Soundaholic

Jan 28, 2010
Ha Noi, Vietnam, Vietnam
Just a short question here :). When I tilt the horizon in pp for a JPEG file, will there be a considerable loss in quality (ie sharpness) in the final image? Does is make a difference if I tilt a RAW image instead of JPEG?

Just a short question here :). When I tilt the horizon in pp for a JPEG file, will there be a considerable loss in quality (ie sharpness) in the final image? Does is make a difference if I tilt a RAW image instead of JPEG?

Some programs like NX2 helps to crop after tilting...thus, if the resulted jpg is cropped too much, there would be a loss in quality(softer image etc)

A lot depends on one's definition of 'considerable'.

Yes, there will be a loss, but at which point does it become noticeable depends on the final output and how large a picture or print you need.

It also depends on how much you need to tilt the image. The more you manipulate it, the worse it gets especially if you're enlarging.

I'm sorry, I don't have any sort of reference chart of figures.

there will be loss

losses are usually very negligible.

when open and resave a jpg without any editing will also degrade the quality, but is very negligible.

without cropping....... just rotating between landscape to portrait and vice versa will also cause some loss