Quick quality loss question

Jan 28, 2010
Ha Noi, Vietnam, Vietnam
Just a short question here :). When I tilt the horizon in pp for a JPEG file, will there be a considerable loss in quality (ie sharpness) in the final image? Does is make a difference if I tilt a RAW image instead of JPEG?

ovaltinemilo

Sep 12, 2009
Sin jia Po lah
Just a short question here :). When I tilt the horizon in pp for a JPEG file, will there be a considerable loss in quality (ie sharpness) in the final image? Does is make a difference if I tilt a RAW image instead of JPEG?
Some programs like NX2 helps to crop after tilting...thus, if the resulted jpg is cropped too much, there would be a loss in quality(softer image etc)

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
A lot depends on one's definition of 'considerable'.

Yes, there will be a loss, but at which point does it become noticeable depends on the final output and how large a picture or print you need.

It also depends on how much you need to tilt the image. The more you manipulate it, the worse it gets especially if you're enlarging.

I'm sorry, I don't have any sort of reference chart of figures.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
there will be loss

losses are usually very negligible.

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
when open and resave a jpg without any editing will also degrade the quality, but is very negligible.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
without cropping....... just rotating between landscape to portrait and vice versa will also cause some loss

Top Bottom