Quick opinion needed, please view this two photo!

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
i just bought myself a Zeiss 21mm f2.8 on saturday

Click link below to view full resolution:
http://i51.tinypic.com/r873ev.jpg
Shot at f2.8 / ISO 100 / 1/160

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zh2sed.jpg
Shot at f2.8 / ISO 500 / 1/20 (handheld)

Both test photo shot at f2.8 , straight from cam (raw -> jpg), never edit

my friend say he spotted double image on the first photo, slowly getting bad from the center.. and it is due to lens element.

weird, I think f2.8, the DOF is shallow hence this blurring (not really double image from what I can see) is due to I shoot at wide aperture?

myself I dun see any problem, but just want a few more opinions from others.

Cos this lens quite costly, so if someone more experienced then me can see anything wrong from this two photos, i will need to go back to the store or service center already. :eek:

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong. Its just the bokeh character of the lens.

I just see ni-sen bokeh - it means your lens doesn't have very good bokeh, also called "busy bokeh". Zeiss lenses tend to be optimized for sharpness and microcontrast rather than bokeh.

FYI, a lot of Leica lenses tend to do badly in bokeh too - shows you how far we've actually come in improving lens design.

I don't see anything wrong. Its just the bokeh character of the lens.

thanks!

I just see ni-sen bokeh - it means your lens doesn't have very good bokeh, also called "busy bokeh". Zeiss lenses tend to be optimized for sharpness and microcontrast rather than bokeh.

FYI, a lot of Leica lenses tend to do badly in bokeh too - shows you how far we've actually come in improving lens design.

thanks! ni-sen ... wow new term for me.

hmm i bought this lens is not meant for bokeh... its to replace my 17-40 for shooting landscape and probably ocassional portrait shots.

so will be actually shooting f8 and above most of the time.

Last edited:
hmm i bought this lens is not meant for bokeh... its to replace my 17-40 for shooting landscape and probably ocassional portrait shots.

Well there you go. If you don't expect good bokeh from a lens, then it's ok. Be happy and keep shooting.

my observation on first image, bcos of the flower type, looks like double vision only :)

I like the pics and how they turned out.. So if it were me I'll just be happy shooting. :)