Questions to those who worked in Recruitment agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo_L

May 7, 2004
I'm now working as a contract temp engaged by an employment agency. I will have to
submit my timesheet (signed by the client company whom I'm attached to) at month end
to get my salary. But I always have to wait till 2nd or 3rd week of next month to get my
current month salary.

When I chased my agency for my pay check, they told me that they can't pay me unless
the client paid them first. My questions here are : is this the way employment agencies
operate nowadays ? They do not pay their employees upfront but only after the client
paid them. What if the client denied payment ? Does that mean I work for free ? Why must
the employees be penalised for the work that has been performed ?

I feel like bringing this case to MOM but not sure will they help.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Jo_L said:
I'm now working as a contract temp engaged by an employment agency. I will have to
submit my timesheet (signed by the client company whom I'm attached to) at month end
to get my salary. But I always have to wait till 2nd or 3rd week of next month to get my
current month salary.

When I chased my agency for my pay check, they told me that they can't pay me unless
the client paid them first. My questions here are : is this the way employment agencies
operate nowadays ? They do not pay their employees upfront but only after the client
paid them. What if the client denied payment ? Does that mean I work for free ? Why must

that depends on your contract... read carefully...

from my point of view... its like buying things...

lets say...

Company A buys from Company B and sells to Company C
Company A gets 30 Days terms from buying from B
Company B gives 15 Days terms to C
then Company C decides not to pay Company A...

so u think Company A needs to pay Company B? simple logic... who cares who sell who... as long as Company A owe Company B, den u have to pay what u owe...

Jo_L

May 7, 2004
The contract only stated that i need to submit the signed timesheet every month end.
It did not mention when is the payday so I assumed it will be within 7 days according
to MOM guideline. Neither did it mention that I will only get paid after the client paid
the agency. If I were to know that earlier, I wouldnt have taken up this job in the first
place. Thats why feel so cheated now.

What I want to know is does all employment agencies pay their staff this way or only my
this particular agency. I remembered when I started out as an agency temp many years
back, I never face this problem before. The agency then will pay me first and bill the client
based on my timesheet.

My advice to all those who are looking for temp jobs thru employment agencies, must check
with them how they are going to pay u before u accept the job.

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
Jo_L said:
current month salary.

I suspect the agent could be using the 3 weeks as a window to settle their internal cash flow first (ie. pay their admin salaries, CPF, rents, PUB) while your salary payment is at the bottom of their priority list.

TMC

Sep 4, 2004
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
You do have a case, you are contracted by the agency, not their client. Their client doesnt pay, then that is not your problem. Your employer is the recruitment agency, employer doesnt pay, then they better be ready to answer to MOM.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Yup... I threatened my company to pay me also, the reasons they gave me was that customer never pay them, I told them that's none of my business firmly.

However, last time I worked part-time under agency, they did specify and say that payment will arrive every 3rd week of the next month once the timesheet is submitted. You better check yours first.

A never pay B so that B cannot pay C, is none of C's business. C's case is with B, not A. The domino effect ends at B.

filofari

Jan 18, 2002
singapore
Visit site
same experience as espn for part-time under agency. Think its normal, worked for 2 different agencies before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom