Questions to locals.... Feel free to add if necessary..

Status
Not open for further replies.

theveed

Apr 20, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Kinda new to the culture here... Want to know what the following mean...

- Tanjong
- Lorong
- Jalan
- Kampong

Why do you spell and pronounce the word "artiste" (ahrteese)? It's neither American or British English.

What's "Siok"

:dunno:

What other terms do you guys use often?

- Tanjong
- Lorong
- Jalan
- Kampong

Why do you spell and pronounce the word "artiste" (ahrteese)? It's neither American or British English.

What's "Siok"

Tanjong = Cape
Lorong = Lane
Jalan = Walk
Kampong = Village

No idea on the artise part...

Shiok = Feels good, exciting

Like many other words borrowed from other languages, I suppose artiste has come to associated with a performer of the arts. I believe it can be found in most American and British dictionary already.

Ah, thanks guys... A lot clearer now :D

Prismatic: Artist (without the last e) and Brits pronounce it as "ahh tist", Americans pronounce it as "Arr tst"... Only SIN pronounces it as arteest

Singapore is a country of Mix Culture. Just like the Great Britian has Old Queen English. American has Red Indian English. Singapore has it's own version calls Singlish. It mixes Malay, Chinese Dialects, English and some Tamils together.

:thumbsup:

These are Malay words.

- Tanjong - Cape
- Lorong - Lane
- Jalan - Road
- Kampong - Village

And from the dictionary

artiste |ärˈtēst|
noun
a professional entertainer, esp. a singer or dancer : cabaret artistes.
ORIGIN early 19th cent.: from French (see artist ).

Singapore is a country of Mix Culture. Just like the Great Britian has Old Queen English. American has Red Indian English. Singapore has it's own version calls Singlish. It mixes Malay, Chinese Dialects, English and some Tamils together.

:thumbsup:

Yeah.. If the Jamaicans can have their flava of English and sound cool, we can too!!!

still have "ah ba then"
dont pray pray
why you so like that?

:bsmilie:

Than there's the famous and CS's original, MTL!!! BBB :bsmilie::bsmilie:

..and the famous "R" pronouce like "L"
- Rolex - lolec
- Rabbit - labbit
- Radio - lehlio

:bsmilie:

- Tanjong
- Lorong
- Jalan
- Kampong

What's "Siok"

alamak ... like that damn jialak sia, you go blanjah some singaporean friends to teach you faster (16 words)

translate: oh my goodness ... this looks like a rather bad case, you should get some Singaporean friends to teach you as you will be able to pick up the language alot faster, don't forget to give them a treat after that (40 words)

somehow i think Singlish is a rather efficient language :sweat:

alamak ... like that damn jialak sia, you go blanjah some singaporean friends to teach you faster (16 words)

translate: oh my goodness ... this looks like a rather bad case, you should get some Singaporean friends to teach you as you will be able to pick up the language alot faster, don't forget to give them a treat after that (40 words)

Wa seh... no horse run arh!:bsmilie:

Aiyo, ask eikin lar!!

see, CS even better only 4 words. Somemore he's in japan so no need to buy him kopi for it. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Tok Kong ah! :thumbsup:

Learning a lot hehe... What's BBB again? I read it a lot here...

Tok Kong?

I understand chinese, but I'm cantonese.

BBB = buy buy buy!

*** = KRW = Ken Rockwell!

Tok-kong is hokkien for damn solid!

damn solid is another slang of the local. in proper england translation, it simply means 'outstanding', 'excellent' and all those nice blingblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.