Questions to be asked during interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
What are the kind of questions that are likely to be asked during interview for IT-related position? Any input will be appreciated. :)

Falcon said:
What are the kind of questions that are likely to be asked during interview for IT-related position? Any input will be appreciated. :)
Depends on which specific IT job lo.. I read from HWZ forum, this guy he was given a paper with some questions, he was interviewed for a programmer job. I'm not sure if its true but the question was:
use the following numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (must use all and each only once)
with these operators +, -, X, ÷ (can use any of them, no limitation on usage)
and give the result 24.
:think:

Drudkh said:
Depends on which specific IT job lo.. I read from HWZ forum, this guy he was given a paper with some questions, he was interviewed for a programmer job. I'm not sure if its true but the question was:
and give the result 24.

:sweat: :sweat:

Drudkh said:
and give the result 24.
Questions like these are not common. Depending on the job level, you may be given questions that test your language compreshion skills, simple problem solving skills or more likely actual technical skills.

I recently conducted an interview for two programmers and we had questions covering the three areas mention above. 36 interviewees failed to answer the simple SQL questions set (I mean it, they were really simple) and their excuse was that with the tools these days, they did not have to write statements. :nono:

Don't worry too much about getting weird or unreasonable questions. 90% of the time the questions you get would be straight forward ones. Just be technically sound.

By the way, the answer to the question asked is :

6 / (1 - 3 / 4) >>> this gives you six divided by one-quarter which equals twenty-four.

Cheers,

Matt

Recursive function
Binary Searching Method..

Sometimes question that are misleading, it actually testing on your ability to ask questions (information gathering from client) rather than keep quiet.

Good luck!

Falcon said:

"Are you gay?"

"What do you think of being posted to Bangalore for the next five years?"

The most surprising question ever asked from me was: "If the phone rings, how are you going to handle the call? Elaborate."

That caught me off balance. I was like :rolleyes:. It took me quite some time before I came up with a reply and the way I "delivered" my reply was like I was :embrass: to even answer such a :dunno: question.

I didn't get the job (Programmer) but I told myself it's ok lar. Answering
phone.gif
calls can be a pain in the ass anyway. :bsmilie:

Bottom line is, don't expect or anticipate too much (re: the questions that might be asked). But usually, they'll give you an opportunity to introduce yourself. Grab and make use of it to the fullest, then you don't have to worry much on what they might ask you.

:Later,

Thanks for all the input so far. Seems like attending an interview is a frightening experience.

Btw, if you cannot ans a qn, do you just say "I am not sure"? :D

Falcon said:
Btw, if you cannot ans a qn, do you just say "I am not sure"? :D
It depends. If you are unsure then say, "Could you please elaborate?" not "Huh? What do you mean?"

If you really don't know anything about the topic he/she is asking about, be honest and say "I don't have any/much experience in this area so I can't really answer your question." Or, "I'm new in this area and cannot properly answer your question." Don't say "I dunno." They mean the same thing but have different impacts on the impression given and in interviews, impression is everything.

So far I've been given the following in test: unix shell programming, C++ debugging without a compiler(darn, that was hard), network design, SQL tuning questions, Oracle architecture etc. Also expect other logic/IQ questions and maybe even character test.

I've been asked security questions, server troubleshooting stuff and network stuff. General company knowledge and personality questions are fair game too. Best is to just answer honestly with whatever experience you have and don't smoke the interviewer, cos they usually have more experience than you.

bestest question? we'll pay you 25% more, Can you start work tomorrow?

Don't even answer them " I don't know..."
Try to ask them to explain more, if still don't understand, try to answer for what you know.

Sometime , they are looking for a correct Attitude. "TRY to solve, willingly to ask and learn" Attitude.
At least make an effort to try to solve it.

Heard from my engineer, some even darn to answer "I don't know. School didn't teach" very di bo-cai... :sweat:

My boss like to ask these almost all interview...
"Do you know what post you are applying"
"what is the job scope?"
Surprising more than 70%, don't know what the hell they are applying.

They just see ohh.. "Engineering Assistant".. sent resume..

don't they know there are many type of "Engineering Assistant". :think:
must be school didn't teach.. :bsmilie:

We often give people little tests - it helps with the 'filtering'. I've done it when interviewing for an assistant. Our 'central' IT 'network' unit give quite large tests now, taking interviewee's off to a spare room and giving them half an hour to complete a short test.

Its partially a skills test - people will write any thing on a resume, also partially to see how some one will handle something they have no clue about - far to many people will just make some piece of rubbish up instead of saying 'I don't know, ill have to research/ask about that one'.

I used to love asking potential support assistants 'how does MSDOS boot and what are the required files'. An amazing number of other wise well skilled IT support people didn't know about the msdos.sys and io.sys hidden files. :)

Depends on company actually, so far, only 2 interviews I had was really interesting, that is my first with AC and then the current job that I have.

With AC, I was given the normal questions and then one very funny question : Why are manholes round?

With the current job, in which I am given Expat terms and currently working in Sweden, I was asked to attend interview in 4 rounds - first was a simple interview, just the normal achievements and stuff like that, the second was a profile test, third was a telephone conference with all the bosses and last I was given a sales scenario and was suppose to plan the production of the goods based on capacity of the machines...that was the toughest I had to go through.

Anyway, I have heard that places like Microsoft actually give very interesting questions, very analytical and you a suppose to solve it.
Eg. There are 2 rooms and one room contains 3 switches and the other room contains 3 lightbulbs. You are allowed to enter each room only once, find out which switch correspond to which lightbulb.

Falcon, you can't anticipate the "funny" questions, based on many of the replies here. Just stay cool and don't muck around, if you're not sure, say so. If you lie, your chances evaporate on the spot.

Go to jobsites like monster.com.sg ... there are lots of good tips there.

Above all, stay cool, and be creative. You may think a question is tough for you, but the other 999 candidates before you probably did worse.

fleek said:
Eg. There are 2 rooms and one room contains 3 switches and the other room contains 3 lightbulbs. You are allowed to enter each room only once, find out which switch correspond to which lightbulb.
If they're ordinary tungsten bulbs, what you do is you throw one switch for maybe 15 minutes. Then you quickly switch it off and switch another, and scuttle into the 2nd room. The lighted bulb corresponds to the switch you just threw, the unlighted but hot/warm bulb corresponds to the switch you 1st threw, and the last bulb = the last switch...
Sorry, was just bored.

tingchiyen said:
If they're ordinary tungsten bulbs, what you do is you throw one switch for maybe 15 minutes. Then you quickly switch it off and switch another, and scuttle into the 2nd room. The lighted bulb corresponds to the switch you just threw, the unlighted but hot/warm bulb corresponds to the switch you 1st threw, and the last bulb = the last switch...
Sorry, was just bored.
Smart guy! :thumbsup:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.