Questions on mirror lens

nyxes

Jan 6, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi all, i am a hobby PG that is interested in shooting sports and i felt that my 80-200 does not have enough reach at times even with a 1.4TC... i am in a midst of saving up $ to get a nikon mount Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3. It was until yesterday my friend mentioned about the 500mm f8 mirror lens (at a price of a few hundred $)

He mentioned about the fixed apperture and the "donut bokeh" thingy... and thus I have a few more questions regarding mirror lens:

1) Does mirror lens comes with autofocus function? I am using a D7000 btw...

2) how is the image quality compared to the normal refractive super telephoto lens?

3) For those who used mirror lens b4, which brands are the recommended ones and which shops in singapore sells such lens as i heard that not many shops carry such lens?

4) Last question unrelated to mirror lens :embrass:... are there any alternative super telephoto lens >300mm that cost at most $2000?

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer my questions and if you have any feedback regarding mirror lens, do share ;)

1. Only the Sony/Minolta comes with AF. All others are manual focus only. Also, typical equivalent apertures range from f/8 to f/16, so achieving a fast shutter speed can be tough.

2. The bokeh tends to be quite harsh, with donut-shaped highlights. Contrast is lower.

3. I only used the Sony/Minolta ones - can't suggest a nikon-mount version, sorry.

4. The Sigma is the best if you are referring to sports photography.

1. Only the Sony/Minolta comes with AF. All others are manual focus only. Also, typical equivalent apertures range from f/8 to f/16, so achieving a fast shutter speed can be tough.

2. The bokeh tends to be quite harsh, with donut-shaped highlights. Contrast is lower.

3. I only used the Sony/Minolta ones - can't suggest a nikon-mount version, sorry.

4. The Sigma is the best if you are referring to sports photography.

Thanks for your feedback ;) i guess the sigma is more value for $ then :) ... shooting sports with manual focus is a pain in the a$$ :confused:

Possible to get a mirror lens at 750mm, f/6.3. Cost about $1500.
Or even 900mm at f/6.3, also about $1500.

Possible to get a mirror lens at 750mm, f/6.3. Cost about $1500.
Or even 900mm at f/6.3, also about $1500.

hey do you know any shops in SG that sells nikon mount mirror lens? i am tinking of testing out the lens to have a feel of it... best if you can recommend me any lens rental store that rents out mirror lens so i can test it out for a day (maybe shooting birds or cute xmm ;p)

Sorry i don't know any of these.