Questions on Lens Collar

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
To all who have used lens collars on the tripods,

Can share with us which step to check first?
The types of lens collars accessories from the tripod brands first or from the lens maker what types of lens collars they have for their (big)lens?

I have a Vanguard AltaPro 253CB 50. When I called Lau (International) Distribution Pte Ltd, one gave me a "Huh?" reply. Another asked me to go Funan to shop.

Looking for one because I plan to have a zoom lens on a M4/3 body. By the look of the picture, I think the CG all the way at the centre of the lens.

Can share info so that newbies will ask the correct questions when shop for one.

I am assuming different brands have different thread size for mounting. Or I am wrong in my assumption?

Thank You
EisMann

FOr tripod collars, you should be looking for the one specific to your lens. The mount is usually standard acra swiss, which means it will work with most acraswiss compatible heads.

To all who have used lens collars on the tripods,

Can share with us which step to check first?
The types of lens collars accessories from the tripod brands first or from the lens maker what types of lens collars they have for their (big)lens?

I have a Vanguard AltaPro 253CB 50. When I called Lau (International) Distribution Pte Ltd, one gave me a "Huh?" reply. Another asked me to go Funan to shop.

Looking for one because I plan to have a zoom lens on a M4/3 body. By the look of the picture, I think the CG all the way at the centre of the lens.

Can share info so that newbies will ask the correct questions when shop for one.

I am assuming different brands have different thread size for mounting. Or I am wrong in my assumption?

Thank You
EisMann
the lens collars usually come with the lenses.
those lenses don't have a lens collars, usually they don't need it and there is not much room on the lens barrel to attach one.
and usually the foot of lens collars are replaceable, so instead of mounting an arca swiss plate on to the foot, can replace it with a foot with arca swiss plate built in.

DD123, Catchlights,

Thanks for your replies.
Will take note of the acra swiss plate.

I am interested in Olympus 75~300mm and Panasonic 100~300mm. But I prefer the latter because of the spec.
I plan to mount it to Olympus EM1 or EM5. But this has to be KIV for for quite sometimes because of my current economic status.
I have only my wife's Olympus E-PL5 to try assuming she lends me to try.

For both brands, when I checked the products' accessories in the websites, they did not carry the lens collars.

Thank You
EisMann

I don't know about the Olympus 75-300.

For the Panasonic 100-300; Panasonic does not make any matching tripod collars. But there is a guy somewhere in Germany that makes them for 75 Euros or something like that. Each piece is hand made. Postage is included, he takes Paypal.

Or you can get a long tripod plate and put a piece of foam between the lens and the plate.