Questions on K20D Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zmonkey

Mar 23, 2009
:) Just getting to learn abit more on my K20D and is wondering if the experts here can help ans a few questions?

1) In Manual mode, is there a way to change ISO on the fly? Currently I am pressing the FN button and go into the menu to change it. But I would like to change it while maintaining my view in the viewfinder. Possible? (understand Nikon cameras can press ISO button and dial to change settings)

2) How do you perform AF Lock? When I pressed the AF button, nothing seems to happen and when I half press the shutter, the Lens re-AutoFocus. Any ideas how to lock your AF and recomposite before pressing teh shutter again? :dunno:

Thank you in advance.

can't help you with 1, never had a trouble with needing that

for 2, if you are shooting single shot, just half press and recompose, what is the problem?

1) OK button + front dial... i can't remember if u need to configure the settings but thats how i do it if i remember correctly since i dun have my cam with me now...

2) the best way to do is recompose with half/hold shutter... even for N/C camera... AE/AF lock just configure it as AE lock only... thats how i do it anyway...

Hi Zmonkey, first off, check that your firmware has been updated to the latest version
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k20d_s.html

Now to your first question, besides going through the Fn button and using the right controller button to select the camera's ISO and scrolling through the list, you can also change ISO on the fly by holding down the OK button and using the front e-dial to change the ISO (left for a lower ISO and right for a higher ISO). The ISO setting is shown both in the viewfinder and on the top LCD panel. This method of switching ISO works not just in Manual mode but in Av, Tv, P, Green, Bulb, X and User modes as well. Obviously, it doesn't work with Sensitivity mode (SV) and TAv modes as the exposure variable that changes is ISO.

With regards to Focus Lock, I assume you know the operation of the AF point switching dial.

1) Set focus mode to AF.S (Single mode), focus on subject (green focus indicator light appears and a beep will be heard) and keeping the shutter button pressed halfway (the focus will remain locked), recompose scene and shoot.
Note you can also go into the Custom Setting Menu under AE-L with AF locked whereby the exposure is locked when focus is locked.

2) Now you can configure the AF Button as well. In the default setting (Enable AF) it works like the half press of the shutter release button but you can also set it Cancel AF whereby the AF by the shutter release button is disabled whenever the AF button is pressed. So you can activate AF on the subject by the half press of the shutter button, then press the AF button to disable the AF then recompose and shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Super Quick responses.
For 2: I am thinking whether it is possible to have one AE point and one AF point.
Meaning as I may focus on a object to lock the AF and recompose it. When a recompose, the metering should be giving me another value (if I am using matrix metering), so I would like to perform another AE.
Sorry if I sound very confusing.

Read the manual... AF point and AE need not be together.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try them out.

2) Now you can configure the AF Button as well.

Second that. Using the AF button to initiate focus is also very helpful. Disable shutter half-press autofocus in the menu when AF button is set to initiate focus.
The dedicated AF button a much better way of using AF rather than using the shutter half press. You can reduce AF lag a bit and improve tracking performance during AF-C by decoupling the autofocus from the shutter release button :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Second that. Using the AF button to initiate focus is also very helpful. Disable shutter half-press autofocus in the menu when AF button is set to initiate focus.
The dedicated AF button a much better way of using AF rather than using the shutter half press. You can reduce AF lag a bit and improve tracking performance during AF-C by decoupling the autofocus from the shutter release button :thumbsup:
Sounds useful. I'll give it a try. <:

until you want to do it using the BG2.. :thumbsd:

until you want to do it using the BG2.. :thumbsd:

Yeah, with the BG, you have to revert back to the default setup. It's a shame the BG2 doesn't have an AF button.:(

I can actually reach the AF button with my thumb even with portrait orientation, so for the occasional shot, not an issue..but definitely not a solution if most of one's shooting is done in portrait orientation.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.