Questions on IR Photography using DSLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbcs

Oct 13, 2003
West
Some questions on the usage of IR filters (say Hoya R72/90) on Canon DSLRs with EF lenses.

1. Possible to see through the viewfinder with filter on?
2. Exposure (darker than normal?) & focus (must use the red markings on lens?)
3. Special settings required
4. Comments on performance
5. Examples will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

I was also wondering about this, but from the infomation I get, I can only manage to answer your question 1.

Since it is a DSLR, you will not be able to see the through the viewfinder as the filter is design tol block all visible lights, and human eyes can't see IR. So from the viewfinder you either see nothing or very very dim light.

Now, hope u don't mind I borrow your thread to post a IR question also. I would like to check if you guys who own DSLR, cos I understand that most consumer digital camera had "hot mirror" or something to block IR in their lens to improve picture quality but since DSLR is using normal lens, then meaning there is no "hot mirror"? Or this IR blocking stuff had been move to the CCD?

Thanks for your answer. I kind of thought so too but was wondering if composition is possible through the lens even though it may be considerable dark.

I don't think there is a 'hot mirror' on consumer cameras. It seems more like an IR filter on the CCD/CMOS sensors or that the sensor's range is kept to receive only the visible light frequencies/wavelengths. It seems to me those cameras with IR photo taking ability expands this range on the sensor (or gives the option) to allow IR to go through.

Feel free to post other IR and DSLRs related queries on this thread :)

I think there is a thread somewhere in this forum regarding taking IR shots using an IR filter..... do a search.... it was quite an extensive discussion with lots of technicalities thrown in for good measure....

From what I can remember... the hot mirror is only removable for Sony cameras.... most other manufacturers dun allow it to be removed.... it's kinda permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.