Questions on Fill In Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

airfins

Jun 22, 2007
Anfield, L4
www.flickr.com
I tried taking a portrait shoot in the mid noon with the model under the shade of a tree using the leaves as background. I use the EX 580 II with a Stofen omni bounce shooting direct at the model hoping to get some fill in light to reduce the harsh shadow cast on her face. Also wanted to get catch light in her eyes. The result is over expose shot.

The Flash was set in ETTL mode with me standing at a distance of 1 - 1.5 m away from the model. I tried various compensation, from -1 to -2 on the flash but still no improvement. ISO 100, Av mode f2.8, Center weighted metering, exposure at the eye.

The question I have is :
1) Is the omni bounce the same as a diffuser or soft box, if not any good recommendation on one?
2) Is it better to use a bounce card instead to achieve a good fill in effect then?
3) What should the setting on the EX 580 II flash be under this situation?
4) What should I be doing instead to take this shot? (What have I done wrong?)

Thanks for your time in enlightening me in my journey to flash photography. :D

The question I have is :
1) Is the omni bounce the same as a diffuser or soft box, if not any good recommendation on one?
Depend on individual preference. Usually omni-bounce is small, portable and convenient to use and good for short distance.

2) Is it better to use a bounce card instead to achieve a good fill in effect then?
Bounce card is also a diffuser. It can work for longer distance than omni-bounce. Whether is good or not is depend on individual.

3) What should the setting on the EX 580 II flash be under this situation?
ETTL handle everything. So you do not need to set any special settings except control flash exposure.

4) What should I be doing instead to take this shot? (What have I done wrong?)
huh ? Dun understand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.