Questions on Diving Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluecoral

Jun 12, 2004
Planning to take up diving courses, can anyone advise me on where to take and how much is the course fee?

Thanks in Advance.

There are many diving schools and operators in Singapore. Just do a google search and you will find many. There is an instructor by the name of Spencer at Costa Sands who teaches very very well but his course fee, very steep. But your foundation would be solid if you are coached under him.

Bluecoral said:
Planning to take up diving courses, can anyone advise me on where to take and how much is the course fee?

Thanks in Advance.

Just some local shop:

http://www.scubaconnection.com.sg/

http://www.waikikidive.com/

http://www.simplyscuba.com.sg/scuba.htm

You may email/call them for price and details. Some site have it on their web.

Also another thing to note is, don't just look at price alone. Ensure you are in safe hand. (can check out how many "star" the shop is awarded etc.)

Most important, you must be comfortable with their teaching styles

cheers!
Alex

Thanks Alex! These links are pretty useful!

Are you a diver? If I can't swim the 200 metres & tread water for 10 mins, does it mean I can't go for the diving course?

I can't swim for 200mm, neither can I tread water for 10 mins. It's not a handicap.

tamade said:

Actually neither can my wife! :D But we dive regularly. It's become one of things we look forward to doing as a couple. You'll be surprised after getting married, both have so little in common.

I can also recommend you a wonderful dive instructor. Not so long ago, I was afraid of the sea. I nearly drowned as a kid and had this phobia ever since. But this guy was so patient and skilled. I jumped into the open waters and never looked back. In fact by my second dive trip, I bought a few k worth of dive equipment for the long term.

The dive centres that I called requires us to swim that 200m & tread for 10 mins leh. Which centre u learnt from that don't need? Can pass me the contacts? :D

I think the 200m swim and 10 mins of treading is meant to see if you are ok in the water. My suggestion is that you should go for a scuba tryout before commiting to attending a course (as the course will cost you more than S$400) and see if you are really comfortable with scuba diving.

Hope you have fun diving. I just came back from my first dive trip after a break for abt 4 years and it was quite fun.

tamade said:
The dive centres that I called requires us to swim that 200m & tread for 10 mins leh. Which centre u learnt from that don't need? Can pass me the contacts? :D

swiftdragon, yep. I guess they just want to make sure you are comfortable in the water. Can you even swim at all? I could swim 1 lap, but can't tread water for nuts. Nowadays I am better at it, because I've been practising in the pool at my place. I guess swimming is the most basic skill to save your life.

I'll go and dig out his contact and PM it to you.

Oh BTW. I would advice you to find a good instructor, rather then find a cheap deal. There are some dive centers out there who will take you for peanuts, with substandard instructors and cockroach infested boats. Ultimately, these instructors will be imparting knowledge and skills so you don't kill yourself, instead you will have a good time once you know what you are doing.

I am sure many of the sunburnt oldies here have seen divers with such bad fundamentals, they risk themselves and everybody else around them.

I can't swim the full 1 lap yet, about 1/2 lap now. Also practising hard at my place at night after work. And like you, I can't tread water at all! :D

Got your PM. Thanks.

Thanks to all for your advices. Guess the best way for me is to brush up on my swimming & treading then go for the course.

Will post again after I go for my virgin dive! ;)

I know of 1 dive shop that did not require my friends to do the 200m dive and threading of water. I will PM you the name of the shop and you can go and enquire.

BTW, wanted to find out from the divers here. Is it common that divers smoke? (no offence to those who smokes yah). I went on a recent trip and there were so many smokers.

swiftdragon said:
I know of 1 dive shop that did not require my friends to do the 200m dive and threading of water. I will PM you the name of the shop and you can go and enquire.

BTW, wanted to find out from the divers here. Is it common that divers smoke? (no offence to those who smokes yah). I went on a recent trip and there were so many smokers.

Yes. Many of my friends smoke. I used to smoke myself. But by magic, I woke up one day and didn't feel like smoking anymore, since then I have not had a stick. That was about 4 months ago.

I noticed I stop having so much mucus in my throat after I surface nowadays. It's common to have some, but when I was smoking it was excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.