Questions on Copyright issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckteeth LCL

Dec 24, 2006
Story:
Recently I came across my pictures in a new agency website. Upon clicking the picture. A copyright belonging to the agency tab is opened. Those pictures posted are either test shoots or commercial jobs done by my team or associate photographers. Can the agency lay claims to the copyrights like that? They are not the commissioning authority for the jobs and neither did they initiate the the test shoots.

I dont mind models using those pictures we did for test shoots but felt a bit worried about the agency claiming copyrights over those pictures. Can they claim ownership and even benefit commercially from it?

http://www.carvermgmt.com/modelsfemale.php

Any help from copyright experts is greatly appreciated. How should I go about clarifying this issue with the agency? Dont wanna cause too much problems :embrass: The models who freelanced under them say its a small matter only. There is no need to blow it up :(

A million thanks for any good help.

Cheers,
Tuck

PS: There might be some other pictures shot by fellow snappers there too. What do you guys think? Just let them claim copyrights?

if agency is claiming copyright and you never signed away your rights you got ripped.

Either suck your thumb, or send a letter of demand.

if you have the raw format of the pictures and you have not signed the rights away... Then start doing the Singapore's Fav past time.... SUE THEM;)

Lol, of course there's also the option of writing nicely first, but if they are evil-doers, that will usually get you nowhere.

My advice is before doing anything, screenshot all the evidence :).

And please, also make sure you have the rights to begin with before you start launching any missiles. Don't end up being another Odex.

well put!

I've just visited the website and it seems like the "attribution" of copyrigth is merely a javascript popup box more intended to prevent right click save as than to assert copyright. Perhaps it is a misunderstanding and you can just send them an email to find out. If they persist, then see post #3

if you have the raw format of the pictures and you have not signed the rights away... Then start doing the Singapore's Fav past time.... SUE THEM;)

lol that's not singapore's favorite past time. It's AMERICA's! lol

lol that's not singapore's favorite past time. It's AMERICA's! lol

Oh yar. the country where you get drunk and walk into a lamp post... you get to sue the bar for selling you the drink and make you drunk and the government for leaving the pole there and win the case. ;p

Oh yar. the country where you get drunk and walk into a lamp post... you get to sue the bar for selling you the drink and make you drunk and the government for leaving the pole there and win the case. ;p

or sue Mac D's and win for scalding you because the coffee is too hot.

Well have sent a email to touch base with them and raised the issues with the models concern who passed them the photos to raise the issue with the agency.

So far no reply from them. The models offer to remove our pictures and use other photographers pictures instead ;p It might be a misunderstanding and hence a good solution according to the models. No need to go talk about copyrights law...they dont understand and dont really know how they are being applied here.

Well, have screenshot and printed out the the pages with our pictures. Dont think wanna sue them la unless they lay claims to the copyrights/ownership. If it really come to that state, then the magazines and us wont be taking it easy :angry: A repeat of Perspectives Models vs Sggirls in the making? I dont think so at this moment.

Thanks for the advice...really helpful...will wait for their replies and clear the misunderstanding if it really is the case.

PS: Some of fellow snappers have contacted me when they saw their pictures on the site. Do email them for clarifications first as suggested? If really got issues, we can meet up and decide. What do you guys think? Of course, screenshot and print out the evidence first as suggested. A lawyer snapper have just contacted me to offer valuable advice too.. Thanks a million..will follow your advice...you have been really assuring and helpful...

Most of the time, models think that they can freely give agencies their portfolio photos for usage. Models need good portfolio in order to get jobs hence they get photos of event jobs that they had done, photos from shoots, tearsheets etc. They will pass some of these photos to the agencies to help them get jobs.

Agencies should be aware of the copyright laws when utilising such photos not commissioned by them though.

Just be nice and ask the agency to take down the pictures if you do not wish them to be there. You have given sufficient notice to them if you do so and can proceed further to other measures if they adamantly refuse.

I'm sure they are reasonable enough to recognise your copyright.

Actually this is a small thing. All we need was for the tab of copyright ownership to be removed as we still retain full rights to the pictures. We have no issues for models to use those pictures for portfolio purposes and see the need to use those pictures to promote themselves for more commercial jobs. Its our way of helping local models to succeed in their journey towards the lucrative overseas professional market.

To this date, the agency has not contacted us. I do hope fellow photographers whose pictures are on the site, do clarify with them as well. Let's keep each other informed of any news from the agency.

Cheers and have a nice weekend.

PS: A interesting observation though, although a left click produces the tab, one can still right click to view, copy, link or save the picture.

Have been asked by a photographer to compile a list of anyone who has pictures on that site and wanna clarify with the agency.

1. Tuck (no legal issues, no need to remove pic, just clarify that the team retains full rights)

Status
Not open for further replies.