Questions on 3rd party battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catpuke

Jun 26, 2004
Hi, all. I have some questions on using 3rd party battery for my ixus 430. Hope the more experienced can help.

I am thinking of getting a 3rd party battery so that my cam can remain operational when the original battery is being charged. I am wondering if I keep switching between original and 3rd party batt in the camera, will it have any adverse effect on the cam? Anyone doing the same thing have any comments on this?

This is becoz i notice the difference in the mAh rating between orignal and 3rd party battery. What is this mAh rating anyway?

And besides the price and mAh rating, what other differences are there between the 2 batteries?

Thanks

Catpuke said:
Hi, all. I have some questions on using 3rd party battery for my ixus 430. Hope the more experienced can help.

I am thinking of getting a 3rd party battery so that my cam can remain operational when the original battery is being charged. I am wondering if I keep switching between original and 3rd party batt in the camera, will it have any adverse effect on the cam? Anyone doing the same thing have any comments on this?

This is becoz i notice the difference in the mAh rating between orignal and 3rd party battery. What is this mAh rating anyway?

And besides the price and mAh rating, what other differences are there between the 2 batteries?

Thanks

I would recommend the Eastgear NB1-LH for the IXUS 430, from Eastgear. Price is resonable, under $25, unlike certain shops in Sim Lim which will charge you the earth for a similar 3rd party battery.

Usability wise it's fine, and will do no harm to the camera is used and charged in the normal manner as the original Canon NB1-LH.

mAh is the amount of electrical current stored in the battery, the capacity. The more, the better. The original NB1-LH has a lower capacity than 3rd party ones.

I always buy 3rd party batteries for my cameras, no problems so far. Save money.

3rd party batts are generally fine. any problems that will arise (leakage, kaboom) will occur at the charging phase.

so far, havent blown up anything yet. have used Eastgears batteries as well as vtage.

That is helpful. Thanks alot. Think I will go down and get one. Btw, roughly how many cycles of charging is needed to get optimum battery life?

no real hard evidence on how many cycles. with some nimh batteries, condition the batteries with a charge/full discharge cycle abt 3 times.

with the ultra low prices of 3rd party batteries, most ppl wont bother. just use them.

mr_jason said:
I would recommend the Eastgear NB1-LH for the IXUS 430, from Eastgear. Price is resonable, under $25, unlike certain shops in Sim Lim which will charge you the earth for a similar 3rd party battery.

Usability wise it's fine, and will do no harm to the camera is used and charged in the normal manner as the original Canon NB1-LH.

mAh is the amount of electrical current stored in the battery, the capacity. The more, the better. The original NB1-LH has a lower capacity than 3rd party ones.

I always buy 3rd party batteries for my cameras, no problems so far. Save money.

where can i get this batt? thx do they have 3rd partt batt for canon ixus 400?

denn23 said:
where can i get this batt? thx do they have 3rd partt batt for canon ixus 400?
I was at the canon's webpage. Ixus 400, 430 and 500 all uses the same NB1-LH battery. I think Eastgear is at pennisular plaza.

Catpuke said:
I was at the canon's webpage. Ixus 400, 430 and 500 all uses the same NB1-LH battery. I think Eastgear is at pennisular plaza.

Yup that is correct. Even the IXUS V, V2, V3, 300 and 330 use the NB1-LH. One shop at Sim Lim tried to sell me a 1100mAh 3rd party NB1-LH battery for $125 a few weeks ago. So be very careful of rogue merchants at Sim Lim Squae, Lucky Plaza and certain smaller camera shops over the island. Even at Peninsular there are 1 or 2 shops which will try to chop you. Safest is purchasing from shops which fellow Clubsnappers frequent and recommend. Eastgear is one of these shops. Located 2nd floor of Peninsular Plaza, just go up the escalator nearer the entrance facing Excelcer/Funan side and turn right. Price of batter is $24.95 or around there, fixed.

mr_jason said:
Yup that is correct. Even the IXUS V, V2, V3, 300 and 330 use the NB1-LH. One shop at Sim Lim tried to sell me a 1100mAh 3rd party NB1-LH battery for $125 a few weeks ago. So be very careful of rogue merchants at Sim Lim Squae, Lucky Plaza and certain smaller camera shops over the island. Even at Peninsular there are 1 or 2 shops which will try to chop you. Safest is purchasing from shops which fellow Clubsnappers frequent and recommend. Eastgear is one of these shops. Located 2nd floor of Peninsular Plaza, just go up the escalator nearer the entrance facing Excelcer/Funan side and turn right. Price of batter is $24.95 or around there, fixed.

:bigeyes:

$125 for a 3rd party?! omfg! these dirts of the society ;(

I thought Sim Lim Square has cleaned up its image. Looks like old habits die hard. Oh well...

Hmm... I am wondering, Since 3rd party batteries have higher capacities and cost cheaper than original ones, why people still buy original ones?

And why is there all these talk abt leakages and explosions when the only difference is in the mAh rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.